Dec 3, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
UPDATE: Cashman started the presser by saying that the first the Yankees knew that Rodriguez was having problems was when Joe Girardi pinch hit Raul Ibanez for him in Game 3 of the ALDS against the Orioles. After the decision was made, Rodriguez told Girardi that his hip was keeping him from “firing” but that did not talk about it being in pain. That night A-Rod was given an MRI and no damage was found. How much pain he was in was not known until much later.
Cashman is implying that Rodriguez may have been hiding the injury. When pressed about the timing of Rodriguez telling Girardi about his hip, Cashman said “as you recall, he said before the playoffs that he felt better than he has in years.” It doesn’t sound like he’s singling A-Rod out, though, because he’s noting that players typically hide their injuries. His example: Michael Pineda last spring.
Also: Classic Cashman: asked about why this is just coming up now, he said “no one asked me a specific question about his hip.” Rather, he said, he was asked if A-Rod would be used as a DH, or if he was going to start or what. Because, yes, I’m sure Cashman would have loved to have volunteered that information if only someone had given him a chance.
Asked about replacements, Cashman was vague (of course) but he said that the Yankees are not committed to either a part-time player or a full-time player. He said they’d “run everything up the flag pole” to see what works. Which seems pretty sensible.
Cashman says that
2:10 PM: Brian Cashman is going to be here in the media room in Nashville in about 20 minutes for a press conference to, presumably anyway, talk about how A-Rod got all dead and stuff. I’ll provide the highlights here when it all goes down.
The biggest question I have — which I mentioned this morning — is how, if Rodriguez was as injured as they now say he is back in the playoffs, no one affiliated with the Yankees said anything. Instead, Rodriguez was allowed to dangle like a pinata all October, with everyone taking a whack.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (123)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona