Dec 3, 2012, 8:09 PM EST
Amidst all the exciting free agent and trade talk from the Winter Meetings is this dispiriting report by ESPN’s Jayson Stark. While commissioner Bud Selig said in October that he wanted to have expanded replay in place for the 2013 season, it seems increasingly likely that it won’t happen.
Two sources familiar with the replay discussions told ESPN Monday that it’s now highly unlikely that baseball will be ready to increase its use of replay by Opening Day, because it still hasn’t settled on which technology it wants to use or how to employ it.
“I wouldn’t say there’s no chance,” one source said. “But given where we are, I’d say there’s almost no chance.”
Well, that’s a bummer. The plan calls for expanded replay to cover fair/foul balls and trap/catch calls, changes which were actually agreed to in the new collective bargaining agreement last year, but there’s a divide whether to use traditional replay or two experimental technologies which were tested in Yankee Stadium and Citi Field late in the season. And if additional “replay umpires” are needed to help expedite the process of replay decisions, those changes would need to be negotiated with the umpires’ union. There’s momentum to eventually get this right, as Stark details, but it seems there’s too much red tape to get it in place by April. It’s a shame.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:26 PM EST
MLB’s waiver rules are complicated enough for fans and those who cover baseball on a regular basis, but apparently they can even confuse teams sometimes.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
The Phillies could eye Asdrubal Cabrera as a replacement for Jimmy Rollins.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Downs had a 4.97 ERA over 55 appearances this past season between the White Sox and Royals.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
With the Phillies in the middle of a rebuilding effort, they are facing some tough (and long overdue) truths with their veteran players.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
Tulowitzki would immediately take the Mets from a “maybe” contender to a “legitimate” contender, but don’t get your hopes up.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Rollins was officially traded from the Phillies to the Dodgers yesterday in exchange for right-hander Zach Eflin and left-hander Tom Windle.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:59 AM EST
As part of this week’s three-team Wil Myers trade, the Nationals acquired right-hander Joe Ross and a player to be named later. However, the player to be named later isn’t a mystery. It’s shortstop prospect Trea Turner, who is now in limbo after the trade.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:51 AM EST
No word yet on who submitted the top bid.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Chase Utley plans to wear Phillies red until his contract runs out.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:25 PM EST
Everything’s coming up Padres lately.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:31 PM EST
Brian Wilson and his beard are back on the free agent market after the Dodgers released him on Friday.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
The Red Sox have brought back lefty Craig Breslow on a one-year deal for $2 million.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
The Padres’ outfield should hit a lot of homers in 2015, but they may give back a lot of those runs on defense.
Dec 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
The Orioles have settled on a new hitting coach: Scott Coolbaugh.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
The Giants are looking to solve their third base dilemma with Casey McGehee.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
Jon Lester now has a personal catcher.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:47 PM EST
All baseball moves the Yankees make must be construed as pro-A-Rod or anti-A-Rod. There are literally no other reasons the Yankees make baseball moves.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Howie Kendrick’s replacement?
Dec 19, 2014, 3:25 PM EST
Minor League Baseball’s top lobbyist wants minor leaguers classified as if they were babysitters and seasonal farm workers.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
He’s owed $2.75 million for 2015.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 68
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 37
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)