Dec 3, 2012, 5:12 PM EST
Soria missed all of 2012 following Tommy John elbow surgery, but was among the elite closers in baseball from 2007-2011, saving 160 games with a 2.40 ERA in 315 innings.
Presumably in Texas he’d act as a setup man for Joe Nathan, who himself was signed by the Rangers one season after coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery that cost him all of 2010.
Nathan saved 37 games with a 2.80 ERA and 78/13 K/BB ratio in 64 innings for the Rangers this year, so if Soria is healthy Texas’ late-inning bullpen could be scary. Soria would replace free agent Mike Adams as Nathan’s primary setup man.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 99
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 38
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 366
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (103)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)