Dec 3, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Soria missed all of 2012 following Tommy John elbow surgery, but was among the elite closers in baseball from 2007-2011, saving 160 games with a 2.40 ERA in 315 innings.
Presumably in Texas he’d act as a setup man for Joe Nathan, who himself was signed by the Rangers one season after coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery that cost him all of 2010.
Nathan saved 37 games with a 2.80 ERA and 78/13 K/BB ratio in 64 innings for the Rangers this year, so if Soria is healthy Texas’ late-inning bullpen could be scary. Soria would replace free agent Mike Adams as Nathan’s primary setup man.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)