Dec 3, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Soria missed all of 2012 following Tommy John elbow surgery, but was among the elite closers in baseball from 2007-2011, saving 160 games with a 2.40 ERA in 315 innings.
Presumably in Texas he’d act as a setup man for Joe Nathan, who himself was signed by the Rangers one season after coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery that cost him all of 2010.
Nathan saved 37 games with a 2.80 ERA and 78/13 K/BB ratio in 64 innings for the Rangers this year, so if Soria is healthy Texas’ late-inning bullpen could be scary. Soria would replace free agent Mike Adams as Nathan’s primary setup man.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming