Ozzie Smith auctioned off his Gold Gloves for $519,203

Dec 3, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Ozzie Smith, Bruce Sutter AP

Ozzie Smith announced in October that he’d be auctioning off his Gold Glove awards and World Series rings to raise money for “estate and family planning” and yesterday the auctions came to an end.

His two World Series rings–both of which were given to him as gifts by the Cardinals for their 2006 and 2011 runs–went for $51,364 and $42,448. And his 13 Gold Glove awards went for a total of $519,203.

So once the auction house subtracts its 20 percent commission Smith will end up with around $490,000 or about 1.4 percent of the total salary he was paid during his Hall of Fame career.

Maybe he truly doesn’t care about the Gold Glove awards, but this whole thing is kind of sad.

1. Cris E - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

“Family planning”? Man, I used to have to pay for that at Target. How did he get someone to give him $500K? He is a wizard.

2. Kleinz 57 - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

So… you’re saying this is proof Gold Gloves actually have value?

3. danaking - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Earl Weaver said he auctioned off his awards so his family wouldn’t argue over them when he was gone. Okay. Maybe Ozzie did the same thing. It’s still one thing to sell off the thigs you earned (the Gold Gloves), but the World Series rings for 2006 and 2011 were gifts of appreciation for past service. If the Cardinals win this year, maybe he should just ask for the money.

4. El Bravo - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM

He must have read “Saving Money by Spending Money” co-authored by Mike Tyson and MC Hammer.

5. mybrunoblog - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Wait. Somebody paid $51 K for a world series ring from a guy who wasn’t even on the team and merely got the ring as a gift? PT Barnum was never more right.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM

As someone who idolized #1 while growing up…I am somewhat saddened by him selling off his stuff.
      But it’s his choice to make. $51K for a W.S. ring doesn’t suprise me at all.
      I mean…it’s still a World Series ring…regardless of how he came by it.
      A World Series ring is a World Series ring is a World Series ring. Why is this surprising?
      No different than someone winning a car on a game show and them selling it when they get home.

6. 78mu - Dec 3, 2012 at 12:50 PM

At least Smith deserved those Gold Glove awards. If every GG winner was as deserving as Smith the awards wouldn’t be held in such low regard by thinking fans.

7. fuddpucker - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Pretty sad when you made all those millions during your long career and end up with nothing to show for it.

8. shynessismyelguapo - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I don’t see why everyone reading this is assuming Ozzie is broke. Didn’t Jim Palmer just sell a bunch of his shit too? Could it possibly be that the Smith family thought “Hey, we have a half million dollars worth of shit laying around the house. Wanna sell it?”

• fuddpucker - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Shyness, you could be right but it seems more likely that Ozzie doesn’t have a big enough source of income and needs the money this stuff brought in.

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 7, 2013 at 10:10 AM

The man earned $30 MM in his playing career. I know this was a quite a while and inflation kicks in and so on, but if he really is having money problems me thinks he’s spent the chunk of that money unwisely.

I think Shyn is more on the mark: “Estate and Family Planning” is code word for: “I’m-going-to-sell-my-stuff-because-that’s-what-my-children-grandchildren-great-grand-children-are-going-to-do-anyway-once-I’m-gone-to-split-the-damn-pie”.

Besides, Oz knows he was great, he doesn’t need fancy statues to remind him, he LIVED it man!

9. ezthinking - Dec 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Maybe he should get off his ass and get into coaching, McGwire is doing fine that way. Or have some write a book for him to co-author on how to field; or peddle one of those stupid baseball training aides, or set up shop in Vegas and sign autographs like Pete, or …..

• fanofevilempire - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM

hey, you can’t say that about the Wizard, watch your mouth, you are very fresh………..

10. natsattack - Dec 3, 2012 at 4:32 PM

20 % commission = ~ $100K, not $20K

• gostlcards5 - Dec 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

$ 519,203
      51,364
      42,448
      —————
      $ 613,015 x 0.8 (80%) = $490,412

11. ultimatehitcoach - Dec 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM

“a fool & his money are soon parted.” sound familiar? just another idiot with too much money & not enough brains. when, not if, he blows thru that $500K.. ozzie smith tag days will be on the horizon . book it.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Can someone decipher this for me? Please…someone…a translation.

“just another idiot with too much money & not enough brains. when, not if, he blows thru that $500K.. ozzie smith tag days will be on the horizon . book it.”

Does he know anything about Ozzie Smith? Has he met Ozzie Smith? Has he even seen so much as an interview with Ozzie Smith?

Most confusing: “ozzie smith tag days will be on the horizon”
      What does this mean? I have read it three times. My head started hurting. I am now giving up.

12. 6stn - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Estate planning: My 1960s baseball cards go to the grave with me. Family vultures can fight over the house and everything else. I don’t give a shit. Now, that’s estate planning.

13. fanofevilempire - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM

the truth is his wife said get rid of all that shit because she was fed up dusting all of it…….
    hey, you know ladies run the house …………….

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5113)