Dec 3, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Some players with partial no-trade clauses choose to put the teams they really don’t want to play for on their block list. Others simply pick the teams most likely to trade for them, figuring that gives them more control over their future. Asdrubal Cabrera appears to have gone the latter route.
A source told WEEI.com’s Alex Speier that the six teams on Cabrera’s no-trade list are the Giants, Mets, Nationals, Red Sox, Tigers and Yankees.
The Red Sox and Tigers are two of the most notable teams looking for shortstops this winter. The Tigers did pick up Jhonny Peralta‘s option, but they’re looking for someone with a bit more range at the position.
The Yankees, on the other hand, never appeared to be a likely destination. However, with Alex Rodriguez out for possibly half the season, Cabrera would be a more attractive option at third base than anyone out there in free agency.
Speier’s source said that Cabrera is open to a trade and probably wouldn’t wield his no-trade protection. If the Red Sox pursue him, they might try for Justin Masterson, too, though getting both would require parting with an awful lot of minor league talent.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)