Dec 3, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Some players with partial no-trade clauses choose to put the teams they really don’t want to play for on their block list. Others simply pick the teams most likely to trade for them, figuring that gives them more control over their future. Asdrubal Cabrera appears to have gone the latter route.
A source told WEEI.com’s Alex Speier that the six teams on Cabrera’s no-trade list are the Giants, Mets, Nationals, Red Sox, Tigers and Yankees.
The Red Sox and Tigers are two of the most notable teams looking for shortstops this winter. The Tigers did pick up Jhonny Peralta‘s option, but they’re looking for someone with a bit more range at the position.
The Yankees, on the other hand, never appeared to be a likely destination. However, with Alex Rodriguez out for possibly half the season, Cabrera would be a more attractive option at third base than anyone out there in free agency.
Speier’s source said that Cabrera is open to a trade and probably wouldn’t wield his no-trade protection. If the Red Sox pursue him, they might try for Justin Masterson, too, though getting both would require parting with an awful lot of minor league talent.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)