Dec 3, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Some players with partial no-trade clauses choose to put the teams they really don’t want to play for on their block list. Others simply pick the teams most likely to trade for them, figuring that gives them more control over their future. Asdrubal Cabrera appears to have gone the latter route.
A source told WEEI.com’s Alex Speier that the six teams on Cabrera’s no-trade list are the Giants, Mets, Nationals, Red Sox, Tigers and Yankees.
The Red Sox and Tigers are two of the most notable teams looking for shortstops this winter. The Tigers did pick up Jhonny Peralta‘s option, but they’re looking for someone with a bit more range at the position.
The Yankees, on the other hand, never appeared to be a likely destination. However, with Alex Rodriguez out for possibly half the season, Cabrera would be a more attractive option at third base than anyone out there in free agency.
Speier’s source said that Cabrera is open to a trade and probably wouldn’t wield his no-trade protection. If the Red Sox pursue him, they might try for Justin Masterson, too, though getting both would require parting with an awful lot of minor league talent.
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)