Ricky Nolasco wants to be traded

Dec 3, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT

ricky nolasco getty Getty Images

After watching the Marlins dismantle their roster over the past few months, Ricky Nolasco‘s agent, Matt Sosnick told ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick today that his client wants to be traded:

“Ricky and I have spoken a lot since the end of the season,” Sosnick said. “Just watching the way the offseason has transpired for the Marlins and the moves they’ve made, he and I agree that he would probably be better served playing somewhere else. If he had his druthers, he would pitch for somebody other than the Marlins in 2013 and beyond.”

Sosnick declined to say whether Nolasco made a formal trade request to the team, but going public with it is about as official as these things can get. Nolasco currently projects as the team’s highest-paid player next season at $11.5 million, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see him traded, but one wonders if the Marlins will keep him around so that the MLBPA doesn’t go bonkers. Yunel Escobar is under contract for $5 million next season, but he’s also a candidate to be moved. If both Nolasco and Escobar are dealt, Adeiny Hechavarria ($1.75 million) would project to be their highest-paid player. At least if my math is correct. Yikes.

Nolasco, 29, posted a 4.48 ERA and 125/47 K/BB ratio over 191 innings this past season. He’s set to become a free agent next offseason.

1. dcfan4life - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM

This just in, Nolasco and Escobar have been traded to the Yankees for a player never to be named later and 10 Miami marlins season ticket purchases.

2. tfbuckfutter - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:43 PM

The only thing surprising about this is the revelation that people still say “druthers”.

• jashton11 - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I was surprised that it took 3 weeks for Nolasco or his agent to say publicly that he wanted to be traded.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM

That also surprised the dickens out of me.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Lot’s of people still say “druthers.” If I had my “druthers” more people would use the word “druthers.”

3. cur68 - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Can’t say as I fucking blame Nolasco. The Feesh are headed back to AAA at this rate. Next season they are going to have a team featuring two good players who don’t want to be there (Nolasco & Stanton) and AAA kids who shouldn’t be there. They are going to suck like few teams have ever sucked.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Yes they are. And they’re going to suck in front of nobody in particular, too. Which poses an interesting question: if a team sucks in Macondo and there’s nobody there to watch them, do they still make that slurping sound?

• stex52 - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

We’re likely to be finding that out in Minute Maid, too. (When I say “we” I’m referring more to the city of Houston, I’m not planning to be there much). My suspicion is that they will, just because it’s in the middle of downtown and the slurping will be so bad the freeways won’t drown it out.

But I have a bright side. WGN is on my cable, so I can still catch Deshaies. I will just have to practice being a Cub fan. Damn.

4. paperlions - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Wouldn’t every single player on the Marlins roster prefer to play somewhere else if they had their druthers? Who wants to be stuck on a team that everyone knows is not trying to win and that has a fan base and community that has essentially said they will boycott the team?

Given a choice, not a single player would choose to play for them.

• husky2score - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Except for Juan Pierre. Don’t worry though he won’t make it past the first month.

• jwbiii - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Paychecks, paperlions, paychecks. The Marlins’ 25 man roster will be the easiest in the league to crack. MLB minimum is $490,000, AAA minimum is $10,750.

• historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I’m certain the Loria Crime Syndicate would make them an offer they could not refuse.

5. xpensivewinos - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM

The Marlins paid a ton of dough for guys this time last year and they sucked like few teams have ever sucked with that payroll. They were supposed to contend and lost 93 games and looked absolutely brutal doing it with that clown of a manager as the ring leader. Hard to imagine this year’s team playing much worse regardless of who they send out there……..

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Yes, it’s hard to imagine, but with these guys, if you try, you’ll succeed.

• plmathfoto - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Thanks for the comments, Mr Loria

6. corcow - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Trade him to jays like they traded half the team to already. We can call them the Toronto marlins

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:43 PM

And hurt the Tiggers’ feelings?

• historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Damn straight, that’s Detroit Feesh now!

7. thejotapee - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM

If the Marlins traded both Escobar and Nolasco, they’d have a payroll under ten million dollars. Wow. That would be the lowest payroll since like the 1980′s! I’m boycotting.

• Old Gator - Dec 4, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Indeed. Tell you what though, there are a couple of nice, hardworking people with arepa and sausage carts on the 14th Avenue side of Macondo Banana Massacre field. I plan to swing by once in awhile and buy a hot dog or cheese arepa or pinchos and a diet coke from them so they don’t get completely destroyed by the boycott along with the swine inside the building.

8. mcjon22 - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Well, the Marlins players wive’s can sleep a little easier. When all those groupies and gold diggers Google to see who the highest paid player is on the team and the number 1.6 pops up, those legs will close right up.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act