Dec 3, 2012, 11:37 PM EST
Hernandez, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, was arrested in his native Dominican Republic in January for falsifying his identity and didn’t end up making his season debut with the Indians until August 12. The 32-year-old posted a 7.53 ERA in 14 1/3 innings over three starts before being shut down with an ankle injury. The Indians declined his $6 million club option for 2013 following the season, but are interested in bringing him back at a lesser rate.
Hernandez owns a 4.64 ERA over seven seasons in the majors and will likely look for a one-year deal in hopes of reestablishing his value. He doesn’t have any visa issues and expects to report to spring training on time.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 41
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)