Dec 3, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT
Hernandez, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, was arrested in his native Dominican Republic in January for falsifying his identity and didn’t end up making his season debut with the Indians until August 12. The 32-year-old posted a 7.53 ERA in 14 1/3 innings over three starts before being shut down with an ankle injury. The Indians declined his $6 million club option for 2013 following the season, but are interested in bringing him back at a lesser rate.
Hernandez owns a 4.64 ERA over seven seasons in the majors and will likely look for a one-year deal in hopes of reestablishing his value. He doesn’t have any visa issues and expects to report to spring training on time.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)