Dec 3, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
7:50 p.m. EST update: Jon Morosi says he erred earlier in reporting the Tigers’ offer to Hairston:
#Tigers have not offered Scott Hairston a two-year contract, as I reported earlier. I misinterpreted information on that. My apologies.—
Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) December 04, 2012
5:25 p.m. EST update: And now ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin is chiming back in, saying Hairston “will not be a Tiger.”
Free agent Scott Hairston may yet choose to return to the Mets, but he’s also drawing interest from the Cardinals, Giants, Indians, Tigers and Yankees, according to ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin.
The 32-year-old Hairston is holding out for the first multiyear deal of his career after making $1.1 million and hitting .263/.299/.504 with 20 homers and 57 RBI in 377 at-bats with the Mets last year.
Older brother Jerry Hairston Jr. got his first multiyear deal at age 35 last winter when he signed with the Dodgers for two years and $6 million.
Scott offers plenty of pop in a part-time role. The Tigers and Yankees would both likely use him as a starter against left-handers, whereas the Cardinals would want him more as insurance in case of an injury to Carlos Beltran or another outfielder.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 11
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 34
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 61
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)