Dec 3, 2012, 4:02 PM EST
7:50 p.m. EST update: Jon Morosi says he erred earlier in reporting the Tigers’ offer to Hairston:
#Tigers have not offered Scott Hairston a two-year contract, as I reported earlier. I misinterpreted information on that. My apologies.—
Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) December 04, 2012
5:25 p.m. EST update: And now ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin is chiming back in, saying Hairston “will not be a Tiger.”
Free agent Scott Hairston may yet choose to return to the Mets, but he’s also drawing interest from the Cardinals, Giants, Indians, Tigers and Yankees, according to ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin.
The 32-year-old Hairston is holding out for the first multiyear deal of his career after making $1.1 million and hitting .263/.299/.504 with 20 homers and 57 RBI in 377 at-bats with the Mets last year.
Older brother Jerry Hairston Jr. got his first multiyear deal at age 35 last winter when he signed with the Dodgers for two years and $6 million.
Scott offers plenty of pop in a part-time role. The Tigers and Yankees would both likely use him as a starter against left-handers, whereas the Cardinals would want him more as insurance in case of an injury to Carlos Beltran or another outfielder.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)