Dec 3, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
7:50 p.m. EST update: Jon Morosi says he erred earlier in reporting the Tigers’ offer to Hairston:
#Tigers have not offered Scott Hairston a two-year contract, as I reported earlier. I misinterpreted information on that. My apologies.—
Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) December 04, 2012
5:25 p.m. EST update: And now ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin is chiming back in, saying Hairston “will not be a Tiger.”
Free agent Scott Hairston may yet choose to return to the Mets, but he’s also drawing interest from the Cardinals, Giants, Indians, Tigers and Yankees, according to ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin.
The 32-year-old Hairston is holding out for the first multiyear deal of his career after making $1.1 million and hitting .263/.299/.504 with 20 homers and 57 RBI in 377 at-bats with the Mets last year.
Older brother Jerry Hairston Jr. got his first multiyear deal at age 35 last winter when he signed with the Dodgers for two years and $6 million.
Scott offers plenty of pop in a part-time role. The Tigers and Yankees would both likely use him as a starter against left-handers, whereas the Cardinals would want him more as insurance in case of an injury to Carlos Beltran or another outfielder.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 107
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 55
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (108)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (96)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team