Dec 3, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
7:50 p.m. EST update: Jon Morosi says he erred earlier in reporting the Tigers’ offer to Hairston:
#Tigers have not offered Scott Hairston a two-year contract, as I reported earlier. I misinterpreted information on that. My apologies.—
Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) December 04, 2012
5:25 p.m. EST update: And now ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin is chiming back in, saying Hairston “will not be a Tiger.”
Free agent Scott Hairston may yet choose to return to the Mets, but he’s also drawing interest from the Cardinals, Giants, Indians, Tigers and Yankees, according to ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin.
The 32-year-old Hairston is holding out for the first multiyear deal of his career after making $1.1 million and hitting .263/.299/.504 with 20 homers and 57 RBI in 377 at-bats with the Mets last year.
Older brother Jerry Hairston Jr. got his first multiyear deal at age 35 last winter when he signed with the Dodgers for two years and $6 million.
Scott offers plenty of pop in a part-time role. The Tigers and Yankees would both likely use him as a starter against left-handers, whereas the Cardinals would want him more as insurance in case of an injury to Carlos Beltran or another outfielder.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (218)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)