Dec 3, 2012, 10:33 PM EST
The Astros would prefer to keep shortstop Jed Lowrie, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears that they are willing to listen to offers for right-hander Bud Norris. The Royals are among the clubs who have inquired on Norris and they are also looking at free agent right-hander Shaun Marcum as they continue to look for ways to upgrade their rotation.
Norris, who turns 28 in March, posted a 4.65 ERA and 165/66 K/BB ratio over 168 1/3 innings this past season. While it was a disappointing showing after he had a 3.77 ERA in 2011, his peripherals were virtually the same. Norris is arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, so the timing makes sense to see what’s out there.
The belief around the league is that the trade market for pitchers could get some more clarity once teams know where Zack Greinke is headed. While the Royals have called on Norris, they would reportedly prefer to land a big-name starting pitcher like James Shields or R.A. Dickey.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)