The Marlins are shopping Yunel Escobar

Dec 3, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT

UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Rays are pursuing Escobar and that the A’s could also be in play.

7:20 PM: The Marlins acquired Yunel Escobar last month as part of the 12-player blockbuster with the Blue Jays, but he was never expected to be long for Miami, as he’s owed $5 million next season while Adeiny Hechavarria is expected to be used as the everyday shortstop. So it’s no surprise that he’s being shopped aggressively at the Winter Meetings.

In this blog post, Frisaro notes that the A’s appear to be one of the teams in talks with the Marlins for Escobar.

Escobar is currently the second-highest paid player on the Marlins behind Ricky Nolasco, who is also considered a trade candidate. The 30-year-old batted .253/.300/.344 with nine home runs, 51 RBI and a .644 OPS in 145 games with the Blue Jays this season and was suspended five games in September for displaying a homophobic message on his eye black. His contract includes $5 million club options for 2014 and 2015.

1. uuddlrlrbastart - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM

The rest of baseball should all band together and agree not to deal for Escobar and let the Marlins pay him. It’s not like they need the payroll relief.

• dcfan4life - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM

At this rate the Marlins wont have anyone who gets paid well left to trade to create controversy to begin with. Their payrolls going to be compared to MLS teams soon good lord.

• marlinman15 - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Why no trade Escobar? he’s a second rate player. Why get all riled up now? he’s a decent player at best with a WORSE attitude than Hanley, bye,bye!

2. chill1184 - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:34 PM

All I have to say is LOL

3. historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Please, god, not Detroit!

4. tfbuckfutter - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM

When reached for comment Yunel described the rumors as “Totes queer, bro.”

5. cur68 - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM

My Dog. When will this stop? How do these clowns in Miami get away with this crap? I thought Selig was keeping any eye on the Feesh? At this rate they’re going for AAA status.

• chill1184 - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Its not like Selig is going to do anything about it. If your loyal to the halls of power, King Selig looks the other way.

• historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM

You’re looking at this all wrong. Pull up a chair. Crack open a beer. Make sure you have unlimited texting so you can chatter with your friends. Break out your Selig voodoo doll. The show opened with a big bang, but there’s sure to be more chapters.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Look, Bud Light only said he would be paying attention to the Feesh. He never said he was going to do anything about them.

• historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM

That’s right, OG, but even if he said he’d do something, he moves at a glacial place. Escobar could be retired by then. In the meantime, sorry to get my entertainment at your expense.

6. tampajoey - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I hear the Marlins are trying to dump him off to the Dolphins LOL

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Dec 4, 2012 at 6:30 AM

What was funny about your post? What does your post even mean? Who exactly is it making fun of? I love good Dolphins humor. It’s well deserved. But your post?. What’s the opposite of LOL?

Miss you over on PBT. You get your SI Sportsman of the Year issue yet? You see that big, fat, gaudy ring on LeBron’s hand? Beautiful isn’t it?

7. xpensivewinos - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Escobar sucks and his brain actually appears to be smaller than Hanley’s.

The Marlins should trade that stiff to anyone dumb enough to take him off their hands.

Escobar isn’t worth five cents let alone five million bucks.

8. jcioffi1485 - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM

The Marlins are shooting for a total payroll of $3,000,000. David Sampson is actually telling fans that they cannot operate at a loss despite the sweetheart stadium deal

• ezthinking - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Here’s some fun quotes from 2001 for you courtesy of Cot’s Contracts.

“I would say it’s the end of the world as we know it. …
      I am speechless by that contract. … It’s unbelievable.
      Literally, it will take the sport down, that contract.
      We’re right back to the ridiculous contracts. It can’t be.”
      - Marlins president David Samson,
      on reports Ichiro Suzuki would sign a $100 million contract

“My mother always taught me that if the only thing you have to say is,
      ‘Fuck Dave Samson,’ then don’t say anything at all.
      So I’m not going to say anything at all.
      Is my mother the greatest or what?”
      - Mariners GM Bill Bavasi, after signing Ichiro to a $90 million contract

9. husky2score - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Ok seriously what in the blazes is Miami doing down there? Lemme take a step back here and ask a question. Did Loria got to college? Honest question and I want an honest answer.

• chill1184 - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM

His wiki says he graduated from Columbia Business School

10. thejotapee - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM

If they can get some pitching for Escobar, they’ll probably trade Nolasco for a corner infielder.

11. indaburg - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM

No, no, no. Please not the Rays. I do not want this horseshit for brains tumor on my team.

• historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Ok, I was supportive on the Loney deal, but you’re on your own on this one.

• indaburg - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I came around on Loney. Not the splash I wanted, but he has potential and has shown glimmers of talent. If the Rays trade for Escobar, the loud “Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!” you hear will be from me.

• historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I’d prescribe tequila, but in your case, sub rum.

• cur68 - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I could start you a rum IV?

• historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:58 PM

For Burgie, I would do it…and you wouldn’t have to worry about me siphoning off any.

• historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Wait, that might sound like a slam on Cur & that’s not how I intended it….gah!

• indaburg - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:02 AM

What slam? That Cur would siphon some of my rum IV? He probably would. Those beavers are sneaky.

You know it’s sad when the first thing I do is check Twitter and MLB sites in the morning to be sure this deal hasn’t gone through. I mean, I know Yunel is an offensive upgrade for the Rays (hell, I might be an offensive upgrade for the Rays), but he’s just such an idiot.

• cur68 - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I hardly know what to say. Um…he hits better than Upton? Its true, he does. He can field his position. And he’s Cuban, too. He’ll get along well there in Florida, right? But, ultimately yeah: Horseshit for brains. Still, this doesn’t mean he can’t be useful and help out. Maybe you can spread him around a garden somewhere?

• indaburg - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM

The Rays have Astroturf. We don’t need no stinkin’ manure.

• cur68 - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Oh. Astroturf, eh? I didn’t know that. Well, maybe fertilize a potted plant or something, right? Surely they have some of those around the stadium. If they don’t they should get some.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Sally, whatever you sacrificed… it ain’t workin’ gal!

• indaburg - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:05 AM

I burnt two candles last night after this news. Do scented candles count? I hope Zim-bu likes vanilla.

12. jaybird22seven - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I’m a Jays fan and I couldn’t stand this ass. I was so glad to see someone take him off our hands. He is a plague everywhere he goes. I hope he goes to the Yankees to cover at 3rd for A rod. That would be a great Xmas gift. Please god !!!!

• dirtyharry1971 - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM

and i hope the jays do another 20 years of .500 ball, never getting any better, never becoming the worst team in baseball either.Lets just call it .500 hell, i wish you and the other 5 bluejay fans in the world another 20 years of .500 Hell!! Merry xmas fool! (notice i dont have to ask god, its just going to happen)

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 4, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

• dirtyharry1971 - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM

#1 im nobody’s friend #2 i dont even have to hope, its just going to happen.

13. jcioffi1485 - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Welcome to OPM Park. (Other People’s Money). Loria is as smart as a fox. His championship is his P & L. To him the World Series Championship is about as important/real as the
    WWE Championship belt.

14. thejotapee - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM

After Stanton, Tino Martinez is the best hitter on the Marlins.

15. mcjon22 - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

This would be brilliant…if it were an NFL team trying to rebuild

16. jaybird22seven - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Even God hates the Yankees and their fans fool !!!! Suck it !!!!

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. V. Martinez (2428)