Dec 3, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Rays are pursuing Escobar and that the A’s could also be in play.
7:20 PM: The Marlins acquired Yunel Escobar last month as part of the 12-player blockbuster with the Blue Jays, but he was never expected to be long for Miami, as he’s owed $5 million next season while Adeiny Hechavarria is expected to be used as the everyday shortstop. So it’s no surprise that he’s being shopped aggressively at the Winter Meetings.
#marlins are in trade talks with at least 2 teams for escobar—
(@clarkspencer) December 03, 2012
#marlins are actively shopping Yunel Escobar—
Joe Frisaro (@JoeFrisaro) December 03, 2012
#Marlins in trade talks with at least two teams involving Yunel Escobar.—
Juan C. Rodriguez (@JCRMarlinsbeat) December 03, 2012
In this blog post, Frisaro notes that the A’s appear to be one of the teams in talks with the Marlins for Escobar.
Escobar is currently the second-highest paid player on the Marlins behind Ricky Nolasco, who is also considered a trade candidate. The 30-year-old batted .253/.300/.344 with nine home runs, 51 RBI and a .644 OPS in 145 games with the Blue Jays this season and was suspended five games in September for displaying a homophobic message on his eye black. His contract includes $5 million club options for 2014 and 2015.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)