Dec 3, 2012, 9:27 AM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is for one year, $3 million. Not bad for a guy who should eat some innings.
Marquis is fairly effective for the Padres after being DFA’d by the Twins early last season, going 6-7 with a 4.04 ERA. A guy of his profile — pretty durable but pretty hittable — is well-suited to Petco Park.
Worth noting that my kids think he’s the best pitcher in baseball because last June 13 in San Diego they saw him start the first ever MLB game they attended, and he put up zeroes for six and a third against the Mariners.
Strength of opposition and park effects are hard concepts for a six year-old biy and an eight year-old girl to fully appreciate.
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)