Dec 3, 2012, 9:27 AM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is for one year, $3 million. Not bad for a guy who should eat some innings.
Marquis is fairly effective for the Padres after being DFA’d by the Twins early last season, going 6-7 with a 4.04 ERA. A guy of his profile — pretty durable but pretty hittable — is well-suited to Petco Park.
Worth noting that my kids think he’s the best pitcher in baseball because last June 13 in San Diego they saw him start the first ever MLB game they attended, and he put up zeroes for six and a third against the Mariners.
Strength of opposition and park effects are hard concepts for a six year-old biy and an eight year-old girl to fully appreciate.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)