Dec 3, 2012, 6:22 PM EST
As of now, the Phillies’ top internal options for third base include Kevin Frandsen and Freddy Galvis, so general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. is considering alternatives in the free agent and trade markets.
According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com, the Phillies have “some interest” in a trade in a possible trade with the Rangers for Michael Young. Young, who turned 36 in October, is owed $16 million next season in the final year of a five-year, $80 million extension. Of course, he has 10-and-5 rights, so he can control his destiny. But he has expressed interest in a trade in the past and the Rangers are willing to listen.
The Rangers would likely have to cover some of Young’s 2013 salary in order to make a deal feasible after he batted .277/.312/.370 with eight homers and a career-low .682 OPS this past season.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)