Dec 3, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
Personally, I’d be just fine with a $48 million contract. But for a major league pitcher a mere three games under .500 over the course of his career, I can see how that’d be terribly offensive.
#tigers a few weeks ago offered anibal sanchez $48M, 4 yrs. Agent told them that offer would insult anibal. Seeks 90M/6—
Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 03, 2012
In Sanchez’s defense, he’s probably just listened to the talk that’s pegged him for at least $70 million over five years. And it’s entirely possible that his agent was more “insulted” by a $48 million offer than Sanchez was.
But there’s nothing really insulting about offering $48 million to a guy who has never once won 15 games. He’s never finished in the top 10 in his league in victories or ERA. He has one top 10 finish in strikeouts (6th in the NL in 2011). The only time he’s ever led a league in anything is when he committed five errors, tied for the the most by an NL pitcher, in 2010.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 8
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 100
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 158
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (158)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)