Dec 3, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
His recovery timetable is expected to be 4-6 months and because the surgery is being delayed until January in order for Rodriguez to build up the necessary strength that means he’s unlikely to be in the Yankees’ lineup until at least June. And obviously at age 37 his entire season is now in some doubt.
Rodriguez played through the torn hip labrum during the regular season and reportedly needed painkillers in the playoffs, spending at least one night in the hospital. Here’s more from the Yankees’ press release:
The injury was discovered after the conclusion of the season during Rodriguez’s regularly scheduled annual November physical evaluation with Dr. Marc Philippon. The diagnosis was confirmed after the Yankees sought the second opinion of Dr. Bryan Kelly. Both doctors believe that there is a very strong possibility that Rodriguez’s hip condition may have had a negative effect on his performance during the latter stages of the season and the playoffs.
He’s owed $28 million in 2013 as part of a contract that will pay him a total of $114 million for the next five years.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 3
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)