Dec 3, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
His recovery timetable is expected to be 4-6 months and because the surgery is being delayed until January in order for Rodriguez to build up the necessary strength that means he’s unlikely to be in the Yankees’ lineup until at least June. And obviously at age 37 his entire season is now in some doubt.
Rodriguez played through the torn hip labrum during the regular season and reportedly needed painkillers in the playoffs, spending at least one night in the hospital. Here’s more from the Yankees’ press release:
The injury was discovered after the conclusion of the season during Rodriguez’s regularly scheduled annual November physical evaluation with Dr. Marc Philippon. The diagnosis was confirmed after the Yankees sought the second opinion of Dr. Bryan Kelly. Both doctors believe that there is a very strong possibility that Rodriguez’s hip condition may have had a negative effect on his performance during the latter stages of the season and the playoffs.
He’s owed $28 million in 2013 as part of a contract that will pay him a total of $114 million for the next five years.
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 0
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 18
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 27
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 58
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)