Dec 3, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
His recovery timetable is expected to be 4-6 months and because the surgery is being delayed until January in order for Rodriguez to build up the necessary strength that means he’s unlikely to be in the Yankees’ lineup until at least June. And obviously at age 37 his entire season is now in some doubt.
Rodriguez played through the torn hip labrum during the regular season and reportedly needed painkillers in the playoffs, spending at least one night in the hospital. Here’s more from the Yankees’ press release:
The injury was discovered after the conclusion of the season during Rodriguez’s regularly scheduled annual November physical evaluation with Dr. Marc Philippon. The diagnosis was confirmed after the Yankees sought the second opinion of Dr. Bryan Kelly. Both doctors believe that there is a very strong possibility that Rodriguez’s hip condition may have had a negative effect on his performance during the latter stages of the season and the playoffs.
He’s owed $28 million in 2013 as part of a contract that will pay him a total of $114 million for the next five years.
Mar 30, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
He posted a 3.33 ERA in 70 appearances for the Padres in a limited role, logging a total of just 54 innings with a 51/33 K/BB ratio.
Mar 30, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Service time manipulation, the depth chart and hacktastic tendencies mean that the future is not quite here for three of the Cubs’ top prospects.
Mar 30, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Maholm has indicated that he wants to continue starting, which likely sealed his fate in Cincinnati and limits his options going forward.
Mar 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Baseball technically has a rule against “fraternization.” It’s a dumb rule.
Mar 30, 2015, 12:04 PM EDT
New regime, different results?
Mar 30, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Mar 30, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Daily Fantasy Sports is not, legally speaking, gambling. But it is somewhat surprising to see Major League Baseball taking a stake in it.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
He’s owed $5.3 million for 2015 and is also under team control for 2016 via arbitration.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Looks like the end of the line for the 38-year-old.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:36 AM EDT
A-Rod’s worst offense yet: not giving the press anything to be offended about.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Perez was a back-to-back All-Star in 2011 and 2012.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT
What, if anything, will Tony Clark and the MLBPA do about it?
Mar 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Leon looks to have the inside track on the Sox’ backup catching gig.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:33 AM EDT
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, but the Blue Jays look like a club that’ll mash the hell out of the ball but have a hard time with run prevention.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:24 AM EDT
The first rule of solutions: make sure you’re employing them to address actual problems.
Mar 29, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT
Ryan Ludwick didn’t hit much during Cactus League play, resulting in the Rangers releasing him on Sunday.
Mar 29, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Nick Martinez beat out the field to win the final spot in the Rangers’ starting rotation.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Mike Pelfrey took back his comments about being happy with a trade to a team that would use him as a starter.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
Ben Revere broke a promise to Rajai Davis when the Phillies’ left fielder robbed a home run.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Nationals reliever Casey Janssen is dealing with more shoulder problems, which could lead to a stint on the disabled list.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 2
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 1
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)