Dec 4, 2012, 7:57 PM EDT
Update: Buster Olney is chiming back in, with a source telling him it’s 50-50 that Scutaro returns to the Giants. The source indicated that St. Louis is the most likely alternative for the veteran infielder. Scutaro, of course, was the NLCS MVP when the Giants knocked the Cardinals out of the postseason in October.
That’s the word from Buster:
Bidding on Marco Scutaro said to have reached something in the range of 3 years, $24 million; SF viewed as frontrunner by source involved.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 4, 2012
Three years for a 37 year-old seems a bit … optimistic. Especially considering how bad the first half of his season was last year. I mean, yes, it’s possible that he found a legit fountain of youth in San Francisco. But it’s also possible that he just got hot for a couple of months and now the Giants are going to overpay and over-commit to him as a result.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)