Dec 4, 2012, 1:35 AM EST
The Diamondbacks have already parted with their center fielder in Chris Young, and their right fielder, Justin Upton, has been a hot topic in trade rumors for a full year now. Now they’re also considering a change in left field, as FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi reports that they’ve discussed Jason Kubel with multiple teams.
Kubel is due $7.5 million next year in the final guaranteed year of his contract. There’s also a $7.5 million mutual option on his deal for 2015.
Signed last winter in a surprising deal, Kubel hit .253/.327/.506 with 30 homers and 90 RBI in his first year with the Diamondbacks. If Arizona moves him, then Gerardo Parra would likely be restored to everyday status in left field. As is, Adam Eaton and Parra are set to battle for time in center.
Morosi doesn’t go into specifics about what teams have discussed Kubel, but the Rangers, Mariners and Orioles would seem to be some of the most likely suitors. Those are also the three AL teams linked to Adam LaRoche, a left-handed bat of similar quality (though one with quite a bit more defensive value).
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)