Dec 4, 2012, 1:35 AM EST
The Diamondbacks have already parted with their center fielder in Chris Young, and their right fielder, Justin Upton, has been a hot topic in trade rumors for a full year now. Now they’re also considering a change in left field, as FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi reports that they’ve discussed Jason Kubel with multiple teams.
Kubel is due $7.5 million next year in the final guaranteed year of his contract. There’s also a $7.5 million mutual option on his deal for 2015.
Signed last winter in a surprising deal, Kubel hit .253/.327/.506 with 30 homers and 90 RBI in his first year with the Diamondbacks. If Arizona moves him, then Gerardo Parra would likely be restored to everyday status in left field. As is, Adam Eaton and Parra are set to battle for time in center.
Morosi doesn’t go into specifics about what teams have discussed Kubel, but the Rangers, Mariners and Orioles would seem to be some of the most likely suitors. Those are also the three AL teams linked to Adam LaRoche, a left-handed bat of similar quality (though one with quite a bit more defensive value).
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)