Dec 4, 2012, 6:58 PM EDT
It appears that Ryu Hyun-Jin may remain in Korea.
The Dodgers put forward a $25.7 million posting fee early last month for the right to negotiate exclusively with the 25-year-old left-hander, then made a long-term offer to his representatives this week from the Winter Meetings in Nashville, Tennessee.
But it “fell a tad short,” Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times on Tuesday night. And it’s not a certainty that Colletti and Co. will make a second proposal.
Ryu owns a 98-52 record, 2.80 ERA and 1238/383 K/BB ratio over seven seasons in the KBO (Korea’s top professional baseball league). If a deal can’t be worked out, the Dodgers will have that posting fee returned.
And the young southpaw can try again next winter to make the transition to the major leagues.
UPDATE, 8:44 PM: Ryu’s agent, Scott Boras, told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that he made a counter-offer. “We exchanged offers and negotiations continue,” said the super agent.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)