Dec 4, 2012, 8:14 PM EDT
A holdover from the Tony La Russa era, Schumaker batted just .276/.339/.368 in 304 plate appearances this summer for St. Louis. He barely played near the end of the year after the front office directed rookie manager Mike Matheny to go with Daniel Desclaso — the better defensive option — at second base.
Schumaker, a .288/.345/.377 career hitter, is owed $1.5 million in 2013. He’ll be a free agent after that.
The 32-year-old has made appearances in left field, center field, right field and at second base over the course of his eight-year MLB career.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 5
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 21
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car