Dec 4, 2012, 8:14 PM EST
A holdover from the Tony La Russa era, Schumaker batted just .276/.339/.368 in 304 plate appearances this summer for St. Louis. He barely played near the end of the year after the front office directed rookie manager Mike Matheny to go with Daniel Desclaso — the better defensive option — at second base.
Schumaker, a .288/.345/.377 career hitter, is owed $1.5 million in 2013. He’ll be a free agent after that.
The 32-year-old has made appearances in left field, center field, right field and at second base over the course of his eight-year MLB career.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 0
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40