Dec 4, 2012, 8:14 PM EDT
A holdover from the Tony La Russa era, Schumaker batted just .276/.339/.368 in 304 plate appearances this summer for St. Louis. He barely played near the end of the year after the front office directed rookie manager Mike Matheny to go with Daniel Desclaso — the better defensive option — at second base.
Schumaker, a .288/.345/.377 career hitter, is owed $1.5 million in 2013. He’ll be a free agent after that.
The 32-year-old has made appearances in left field, center field, right field and at second base over the course of his eight-year MLB career.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)