Dec 4, 2012, 8:14 PM EST
A holdover from the Tony La Russa era, Schumaker batted just .276/.339/.368 in 304 plate appearances this summer for St. Louis. He barely played near the end of the year after the front office directed rookie manager Mike Matheny to go with Daniel Desclaso — the better defensive option — at second base.
Schumaker, a .288/.345/.377 career hitter, is owed $1.5 million in 2013. He’ll be a free agent after that.
The 32-year-old has made appearances in left field, center field, right field and at second base over the course of his eight-year MLB career.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)