Dec 4, 2012, 8:14 PM EDT
A holdover from the Tony La Russa era, Schumaker batted just .276/.339/.368 in 304 plate appearances this summer for St. Louis. He barely played near the end of the year after the front office directed rookie manager Mike Matheny to go with Daniel Desclaso — the better defensive option — at second base.
Schumaker, a .288/.345/.377 career hitter, is owed $1.5 million in 2013. He’ll be a free agent after that.
The 32-year-old has made appearances in left field, center field, right field and at second base over the course of his eight-year MLB career.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 61
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)