I went to the Winter Meetings Trade Show and it was OK

Dec 4, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT

On an afternoon where the rumors are weak and the deals close to non-existent, I felt that a trip to the Winter Meetings Trade show was in order.

For those unaware, the Trade Show is where some 300 exhibitors hawk wares ranging from caps, blankets, foam fingers, shot glasses, sports insurance, stadium architecture, concessions, bats, stadium seats, uniforms, mascot costumes — Utility Man — and any number of other odd things. It’s geared more towards the minor leagues than the majors, so if you see fun things at you small town ballpark this summer, someone probably got the idea for it at the Trade Show.

I walked around and took in the sights. Among them:

source:

You like? I kinda like. The guy at the booth told me they sell them to teams for, like, $5 and they sell at the ballpark for $14.99. Just so you know.

source:

I like a racing 1983 Harold Baines costume, I just don’t know where I’d wear it.

source:

Wow. I thought I dreamed the ostrich thing for the Reading Phillies — er, the Reading Fightins. Guess not!

source:

Find the real people in this picture.  Yep, it’s the taco and the mustard!

source:

This is the sexiest thing of the Winter Meetings so far.

source:

I’d like a Fergie Jenkins for my minor league park, but I already have a Mickey Lolich and a Robin Roberts and at some point I feel like I’m just buying too much.

source:

But really, if anyone wants to buy me this, I’ll take it. And I’ve never even been to Eugene.

1. jwbiii - Dec 4, 2012 at 6:14 PM

So The Hair Club for Men has a booth?

2. fanofevilempire - Dec 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM

you look like you have fun………..

3. geoknows - Dec 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM

The wig is YOU, Craig. Well worth 14.99.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Sadly in my inebriated state at Brewer games I’d likely buy the yellow and blue wig. Then I’d promptly lose it in less than 4 innings.

5. husky2score - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Who did you ask to take the picture of you in the wig, exactly?

• umrguy42 - Dec 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Allison, belike.

6. cur68 - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:38 PM

That…that wig…I am…speechless…dear Dog Almighty.

7. leftywildcat - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM

That hair, on Bud Selig, would be a big improvement. Tell us you bought it for him, as a Christmas present.

8. maltarz - Dec 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM

The colors for the Eugene Emeralds are brown and yellow?

• jwbiii - Dec 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Yeah, looks like the ’70s Padres mustard and crap colors, doesn’t it?

9. indaburg - Dec 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I lost track of the picture descriptions and I thought you were calling Fergie Jenkins the sexiest thing at the Winter Meetings so far, which he just may well be.

• cur68 - Dec 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

He’s Canadian y’know. Chock FULL of seal blubber, just ask him.

• indaburg - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:06 PM

He’s must be about 70 years old now ad he still looks good. Must be the seal blubber.

• indaburg - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM

*and. Stupid iPad.

10. umrguy42 - Dec 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Craig, if we had a whip-round and donated money (for beer, whiskey, scotch, whatever)… how much would it take for you to wear the wig on NBC Sports Talk?

11. snowbirdgothic - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM

That’s not a wig. That’s a Muppet looking for political asylum.

12. stlouis1baseball - Dec 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

That shirt certainly looks like you. Someone buy it for him.
    On a different note:
    For some reason…it took forever to spot the Taco in the picture. Strange. Anyone else have this issue?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2979)