Dec 4, 2012, 7:43 PM EDT
Free agent infielder Jeff Keppinger is currently recovering from a broken right fibula that he suffered at home last month when he fell down a set of stairs.
But that injury hasn’t diminished his asking price.
According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, Keppinger is looking for a three-year contract worth close to $12 million. The Yankees have made it known that they a serious level of interest, and the Diamondbacks, Cubs and Rays have been linked.
Keppinger batted .325/.367/.439 with a career-high nine home runs and 40 RBI in 418 plate appearances this past season for Tampa Bay while making appearances at third base, second base, first base and designated hitter. The 32-year-old native of Lilburn, Georgia has played some shortstop in the past.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 62
- The Lester trade is a win-win 105
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)