Dec 4, 2012, 12:17 AM EST
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Hamilton is attending the Winter Meetings in Nashville and met with Mariners officials on Sunday. Other unidentified teams are believed to be in the mix for Hamilton, but Rosenthal reiterates that the Rangers have been the most aggressive with him so far. The Brewers have been mentioned as a possibility because hitting coach Johnny Narron was previously Hamilton’s accountability partner, but they are considered to be on the “periphery” of talks.
Hamilton, 31, batted .285/.354/.577 with 43 home runs, 128 RBI and a .930 OPS in 148 games this past season. He’s the best position player available on pure talent alone, but his age, injury history and past issues with addiction make him one of the most unpredictable and intriguing free agent cases in recent memory.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 9
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)