Maybe the Mets should just keep R.A. Dickey

Dec 4, 2012, 3:57 PM EDT

Phil Niekro, R.A. Dickey Getty Images

In making it clear just how much he wanted his Royals to trade for R.A. Dickey, Grantland’s Rany Jazayerli put forth a great case for just how valuable Dickey is, especially in light of his willingness to sign a pretty reasonable two- or three-year extension on top of his $5 million contract for 2013.

Just as Jazayerli says, who cares that Dickey is 38? He’s a knuckleballer who just won a Cy Young Award at 37. Until age 36, he had never topped 175 innings in a season as a pro. He certainly hasn’t racked up the pitch counts of the typical 38-year-old hurler. Anyway, he was anything but typical in the first place, given that he’s missing his UCL (a.k.a. the Tommy John ligament) in his elbow.

If Dickey were the typical 38-year-old, then yeah, the Mets probably should trade him, working under the theory that he probably wouldn’t be part of the next good Mets team anyway. But he’s not. There’s good reason to think he has three, four or maybe even five or six years left of quality pitching in him. In my opinion, he’s a better bet to stay healthy than the typical free agent pitcher five or six years younger than he is.

If the Mets could get Wil Myers and a quality pitching prospect from the Royals for Dickey, that would probably be worth doing. Maybe it’s worth doing for Myers alone; I don’t think he’s any sort of lock to develop into an All-Star, but he definitely has the potential. However, the Mets would be much smarter to give him the extension than to trade him for anything less than a top-10 prospect. He’ll still be a top-of-the-rotation starter if the Mets can come up with enough talent around him to make a run in 2014 or ’15.

1. cur68 - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Jeez, I wish you hadn’t written this Mathew. Now the effin Mets stand a chance of reading it. My only hope is that they think you are some hack blogger. This is basically my opinion of RA Dickey: he’s got 4 years or so left in him at the pace he set last season. I REALLY want this guy on The Beaver Wrestlers, not only because I like him as a person but also because I think he can bring it for another few years, easy. Its like you say, he isn’t typical in any way so why judge him as such?

• thebadguyswon - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Then they need to pay up. And pay up doesn’t mean JP Arencibia.

• cur68 - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Fine. I want The Beav to KEEP JP anyways. The Mets can have Buck and/or Whiteside, Rasmus and one of the AAA kids that can play OF. Gose maybe. Some cash on that and BOOM Dickey’s in the beav…er…on the Bea…um…in Toronto.

2. geoknows - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I find it odd that the Mets are demanding so much for Dickey in trade, yet balking at paying him. If he’s so darn valuable, keep the man and pay him. He’s actually not going to cost THAT much. I realize the Wilpons aren’t exactly dripping in dough these days, but they found the bucks for Wright. I think they can find them for Dickey.

Unless, of course, they are as suspicious of a 38 year old knuckleballer as some other people are…

3. paperlions - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Dickey is a cheater. He has an unnatural advantage over other pitchers by not having to worry about tearing his UCL…totally not fair. Back when Goose Gossage was pitching, every pitcher had a UCL, and his original one too…not some cheating franken-ligament taken from elsewhere in the body and stuck in the elbow…his heart aches and it makes him sick that such a cheating cheater has broken Roger Maris’ home run record.

4. geoknows - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Oh, and I should toss this in there: Why would the Royals trade Wil Myers for one year of Dickey, let alone Myers and another prospect? That makes no sense.

• richyballgame - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Ehhh… Neise is more a lock to be traded then Dickey. Most likely Neise+Flores+Groski will land Myers.

• geoknows - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Why would the Mets trade Niese, for that matter? I said this on another site earlier today. 26 year starter signed for six more years at very reasonable rates? If the answer is “because if you trade Niese you get Myers,” then the Royals shouldn’t be doing it.

I just think the Royals can get a better pitcher than Niese for Myers.

• paperlions - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM

There is no way that package will land Myers….Dickey wouldn’t either.

5. indaburg - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I agree with you, Matthew. I think the Mets should keep Robert Allen unless they can get some real quality in exchange for him. I get it, he’s 38, teams don’t want to give up prospects for a 38 year old, but
    he’s a knuckleballer who can pitch until he’s like 50. Like Dickey wrote in his book–he should actually be more valuable because he lacks a UCL. He’ll never need Tommy John surgery.

• thebadguyswon - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I like him. And I get why teams don’t want to give it up for him. But he’s been a frontline starter for three years and he just won the Cy Young. Plus, he costs a measly $5M. Either pay up or go sign Kyle Lohse.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win