Dec 4, 2012, 9:04 PM EST
There have been mixed messages over just how much the Orioles have to spend this winter, but it looks like they are considering one big-ticket item after meeting with Nick Swisher‘s agent, Dan Lozano, on Tuesday.
Three other teams also met with Lozano about Swisher, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown.
Swisher, who is married to actress JoAnna Garcia, is believed to prefer to play in New York or Los Angeles, but none of the four clubs with those cities in their names have expressed any interest. San Francisco would seem to be a reasonable compromise, but the Giants are likely out of the mix after re-signing Angel Pagan.
I'm told #SFGiants view Nick Swisher as one of those "big-ticket items" they will not engage seriously, given contract he will command.—
Andrew Baggarly (@CSNBaggs) December 04, 2012
Assuming all of that holds true, Baltimore might be one of the best options for Swisher. He’d likely play left field for the Orioles, replacing Nolan Reimold and Nate McLouth. McLouth is a free agent, and Reimold would likely become trade bait in such a scenario. Alternatively, the Orioles could use Swisher at first base and make Chris Davis their DH.
The Mariners are also believed to be considering Swisher, and the Rangers could enter the mix if Josh Hamilton departs. For that reason, Swisher may wait to see what happens with Hamilton before he picks his destination.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)