Dec 4, 2012, 9:04 PM EST
There have been mixed messages over just how much the Orioles have to spend this winter, but it looks like they are considering one big-ticket item after meeting with Nick Swisher‘s agent, Dan Lozano, on Tuesday.
Three other teams also met with Lozano about Swisher, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown.
Swisher, who is married to actress JoAnna Garcia, is believed to prefer to play in New York or Los Angeles, but none of the four clubs with those cities in their names have expressed any interest. San Francisco would seem to be a reasonable compromise, but the Giants are likely out of the mix after re-signing Angel Pagan.
I'm told #SFGiants view Nick Swisher as one of those "big-ticket items" they will not engage seriously, given contract he will command.—
Andrew Baggarly (@CSNBaggs) December 04, 2012
Assuming all of that holds true, Baltimore might be one of the best options for Swisher. He’d likely play left field for the Orioles, replacing Nolan Reimold and Nate McLouth. McLouth is a free agent, and Reimold would likely become trade bait in such a scenario. Alternatively, the Orioles could use Swisher at first base and make Chris Davis their DH.
The Mariners are also believed to be considering Swisher, and the Rangers could enter the mix if Josh Hamilton departs. For that reason, Swisher may wait to see what happens with Hamilton before he picks his destination.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)