Dec 4, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Paul Janish, who was acquired from the Reds in July, has avoided arbitration with the Braves by agreeing to a one-year contract.
David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that Janish will get around $1 million for his second season of arbitration eligibility. And after hitting just .186 in 55 games for the Braves he’s slated for a utility infielder role in 2013.
O’Brien also notes that Janish could miss the beginning of the season after undergoing shoulder surgery in October. Janish dislocated his non-throwing shoulder in mid-September, but played through the injury.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12