Quote of the Day: Rich Gossage on PED users in the Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2012, 11:53 AM EDT

Gossage

In January 2010, Rich Gossage made some pretty sharp statements in support of the idea that PED users should not be in the Hall of Fame. I interviewed Gossage right after that and asked him what he thinks should be done if it was found that an existing member of the Hall was later found to have used PEDs during his playing career. This is what he told me:

“I don’t really know what I’d do. We’d have to find out all the facts. It’s a big dark cloud. I don’t know what the scenario would look like.”

In the past 35 months he has figured it out. Here are his comments about that subject now:

“They cheated. They (expletive) cheated. I believe that, hey, there’s gotta be a paddle for these guys’ asses. This is the last step of punishment there for them. If a guy gets into the Hall of Fame and we find out later he was cheating, kick him out!”

Alrighty then. And dudes, you should all be lucky that Gossage didn’t catch you juicing when he played:

“I saw guys go from Barney Fife to Lou Ferrigno from one season to the next. It made me sick. It made me sick. It made me sick for Roger Maris, sick for all the guys who set the records that fell. Just sick.”

Not sick enough to say anything then, of course. But maybe it took him three years to get mad about that too.

1. skids003 - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Maybe he actually thinks before he speaks, something uncommon these days.

• paperlions - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Well, then he probably doesn’t think very well.

There is nothing but “back-in-my-day”ism in his rants. None of the guys he claims made him sick existed, he made them up in his mind. And he apparently has no problem with cheating, as long as it wasn’t steroids, because when he played the game nearly everyone was on amphetamines….that didn’t bother him at all, apparently….and data suggest that amphetamine use helps production (at least offensive) more than steroids.

• saints97 - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Guaranteed he doesn’t consider “greenies” cheating.

These guys are hypocrites, every one of them.

2. bgeary8 - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

One can only assume that Gossage feels the same way about any pitcher that ever doctored a ball, any player who ever used greenies, any player that used a corked bat, any baserunner who missed a base but didn’t tell the umpire, any outfielder that trapped a ball but had it ruled a catch and so on.

Kick ‘em all out.

3. number42is1 - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM

you ever notice how the paddling of the asses is a lot like crossing the dessert?

• historiophiliac - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Mmmmm, dessert.

• The Common Man - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Not entirely sure why we’re crossing dessert. Blessing the ice cream?

• number42is1 - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

desert vs dessert is one of those things i will never spell right.

• historiophiliac - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

What’s hard about it? One you like and want seconds of (2 s’s) and the other you don’t (1 s).

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM

This is a cake vs pie pun right?

• historiophiliac - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM

bread pudding!

• cur68 - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM

…is awful unless soaked in peach brandy! (FIFY)

• number42is1 - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

bread pudding otherwise known as challah kugle.

• historiophiliac - Dec 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Peach brandy??? Why don’t you just stick a biscuit in a wine cooler and call it good?

/shudder

• cur68 - Dec 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Depends on the amount of wine cooler. Like the bread pudding it’ll take a lot of hooch before I fail to notice the awful but it can be done.

• historiophiliac - Dec 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM

You, Beav, are not right. You just haven’t had good bread pudding, but that’s okay because then there’s more for me.

BTW, where I’m from, a biscuit in milk/buttermilk actually is a dessert.

• cur68 - Dec 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM

You put enough St-Rémy à la Crème Liqueur in that buttermilk and I’ll join you.

• historiophiliac - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM

/sniff

I wouldn’t share my biscuits with someone who would be content to soak them in carbonated “wine.” BTW, what the hell’s the difference between a biscuit in peach brandy and peach pie (aside from the alcohol)?

• cur68 - Dec 4, 2012 at 6:20 PM

The difference is that with enough alcohol involved I’ll eat pie even. Can’t leave out the alcohol.

• historiophiliac - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Well, then don’t dessert and drive.

Sorry about the long thread, church.

• shynessismyelguapo - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

…and it’s exactly like the Wreck of the Hesperus.

• indaburg - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Don’t say never, #42. You just need a mnemonic device. I always remember what my grammar school teacher taught me. Dessert is Super Sweet (or Strawberry Shortcake).

Now, back to paddling cheating Hall of Famers. Assume the position.

4. donkastain - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM

One look from that Fu speaks louder than any words ever could.

5. cur68 - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Hey Rich! Check out the link. ID all the HOFer cheaters on it and go paddle them willya?

• historiophiliac - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Selig only gives time outs. The game is getting respectable.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Guys on the outside think more guys should be in. Guys on the inside think fewer guys should be in. The sky is blue, the grass is green, Amanda Seyfreed isn’t returning my calls…this is just the way the world works.

• number42is1 - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM

which number do you have for her? if it starts with 555 i have bad news for you

• bigdicktater - Dec 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Last I knew it was a 900 number…………

7. vallewho - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

There’s plenty of guys in the baseball HoF that “cheated”.

8. josemartez - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Using PEDs? That’s a paddlin’.

9. fanofevilempire - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

who caers about PED’s……………..
    MLB doesn’t…………..
    Braun won MVP then had dirty pee………

oh boy.

10. peopletrains - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Love the Goose!

• ezthinking - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Hate the goose, too gristle-y and game-y tasting.

11. navyteach - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

OK, so how does Gossage define “cheated”? What about one the most famous cheats of all time and Hall of Fame resident – Gay Perry? How about a Whitey Ford who admitted that he “cheated” towards the end of his career?

I don’t envy the guys who have to vote for the HOF. Bonds and Clemens are guys that are suspected of using PEDs (not proven) yet they are clearly the best of their generation and two of the best of all time. How do you keep them out?

12. fuddpucker - Dec 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM

You aint’ tryin’ if you ain’t cheatin’!

13. natsattack - Dec 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM

His first name is Goose!

14. raysfan1 - Dec 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

…and here is why we will never truly get to the bottom of the whole steroids thing, because Gossage’s over-the-top, non-helpful rant would certainly not be solo if any Hall of Famer ever dared step forward and said, “Yeah,I did that.”

• historiophiliac - Dec 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Which is to say, we will never have a truly honest conversation about the players and situation.

Three legends off to Cooperstown