Dec 4, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
While it is being portrayed that Dickey only seeks a two-year deal on top of the existing $5 million owed in 2013, a team insider said that’s not how it is being communicated to the organization right now. Or, the source added, right now it is three years worth of money being sought.
So it’s more money, even if it isn’t a longer commitment. I can see that being reasonable, though. The issue with Dickey is the time in my view.
As for the “three years worth of money” thing, the Mets are market leaders in backloading and otherwise structuring deals, so it may make a lot of sense for them to figure out how to do that with Dickey — perhaps front-loading him — in order to better-align his paychecks and his likely value to the team.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games