Dec 4, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
While it is being portrayed that Dickey only seeks a two-year deal on top of the existing $5 million owed in 2013, a team insider said that’s not how it is being communicated to the organization right now. Or, the source added, right now it is three years worth of money being sought.
So it’s more money, even if it isn’t a longer commitment. I can see that being reasonable, though. The issue with Dickey is the time in my view.
As for the “three years worth of money” thing, the Mets are market leaders in backloading and otherwise structuring deals, so it may make a lot of sense for them to figure out how to do that with Dickey — perhaps front-loading him — in order to better-align his paychecks and his likely value to the team.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)