Dec 4, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
While it is being portrayed that Dickey only seeks a two-year deal on top of the existing $5 million owed in 2013, a team insider said that’s not how it is being communicated to the organization right now. Or, the source added, right now it is three years worth of money being sought.
So it’s more money, even if it isn’t a longer commitment. I can see that being reasonable, though. The issue with Dickey is the time in my view.
As for the “three years worth of money” thing, the Mets are market leaders in backloading and otherwise structuring deals, so it may make a lot of sense for them to figure out how to do that with Dickey — perhaps front-loading him — in order to better-align his paychecks and his likely value to the team.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 11
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 26
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (109)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)