Dec 4, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
While it is being portrayed that Dickey only seeks a two-year deal on top of the existing $5 million owed in 2013, a team insider said that’s not how it is being communicated to the organization right now. Or, the source added, right now it is three years worth of money being sought.
So it’s more money, even if it isn’t a longer commitment. I can see that being reasonable, though. The issue with Dickey is the time in my view.
As for the “three years worth of money” thing, the Mets are market leaders in backloading and otherwise structuring deals, so it may make a lot of sense for them to figure out how to do that with Dickey — perhaps front-loading him — in order to better-align his paychecks and his likely value to the team.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)