Dec 4, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
While it is being portrayed that Dickey only seeks a two-year deal on top of the existing $5 million owed in 2013, a team insider said that’s not how it is being communicated to the organization right now. Or, the source added, right now it is three years worth of money being sought.
So it’s more money, even if it isn’t a longer commitment. I can see that being reasonable, though. The issue with Dickey is the time in my view.
As for the “three years worth of money” thing, the Mets are market leaders in backloading and otherwise structuring deals, so it may make a lot of sense for them to figure out how to do that with Dickey — perhaps front-loading him — in order to better-align his paychecks and his likely value to the team.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)