Dec 4, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
Ryan Ludwick is apparently staying in Cincinnati.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Reds are “getting close on a deal” for the veteran outfielder. It’s likely for two years and a little under $20 million.
Ludwick batted .275/.346/.531 with 26 home runs and 80 RBI in 125 games this past season for the National League Central-champion Reds. The 34-year-old owns a .799 career OPS in the majors.
Ludwick was said to be holding out for a three-year offer but apparently did not receive one.
UPDATE, 11:37 PM: MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon was told that Passan’s report is “not so true.”
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)