Report: Dodgers willing to part with top youngsters for R.A. Dickey

Dec 4, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT

R.A. Dickey Reuters

John Harper of the New York Daily News reports the Dodgers are willing to send shortstop Dee Gordon and right-hander Zach Lee, their No. 1 pitching prospect, to the Mets for R.A. Dickey.

The Mets appear to be seeking two top young talents in return for their Cy Young Award winner, and Gordon and Lee isn’t such a bad offer. Still, it doesn’t fill the Mets’ needs as well as they’d like. The Mets already have a long-term shortstop in Ruben Tejada, and while one can never have too many top pitching prospects, the Mets would rather add a top young outfielder or a catcher. Or maybe both. As a result, it seems unlikely that they’ll take the Dodgers up on the offer.

Gordon, 24, opened last year as the Dodgers’ shortstop and leadoff hitter, but he struggled and got hurt. He ended up hitting .228/.280/.281 with 32 steals in 303 at-bats. In 2011, he hit .304/.325/.362 with 24 steals in 224 at-bats as a rookie.

Lee, 21, went 6-6 with a 4.39 ERA and a 103/32 K/BB ratio in 121 innings between high-A Rancho Cucamonga (a terrific hitting environment) and Double-A Chattanooga last season. He was the Dodgers’ top pick in the 2010 draft

1. gosuhgo - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:23 PM

We’re referring to the fact that the Dodgers management would be willing to sell their children for Dickey right?

2. richyballgame - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:24 PM

The Dodgers don’t seriously believe the Mets will bite at this,do they?

3. AlohaMrHand - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Dickey for dee Gordon and lee?Would the Dodgers also throw in some magic beans as well?

4. billb09 - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:36 PM

We will take the Centerfielder and those prospects for Dickey. What is the center fielders name again…….lol . Oh and by the way send half his salary to us in cash too.

• djpostl - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Rofl. Dream on. a 38 year old over-achiever for Matt Kemp.

Classic idiocy of a Debts fan.

5. sportsdrenched - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Only Meat Loaf can tell us what the Dodgers AREN’t willing to do to get any player in MLB.

6. slappymcknucklepunch - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Hey all
    Just wanted to say that I have been a long time lurker and VERY infrequent poster(ragged on Hallidays bicepts and the bag of shit bozosforall for being a stain on the internet)as I have only posted 2 times.I must commend you all for making this my first read as I log on every morning and I think 98% of you guys are awsome,that said,I would like to say you will now make me post LESS infrequently as I think you guys are realy good about cutting newbies a little slack.I am one of the guys that upvote and downvote you every day for at least the last few years.

I usually upvote for people who do research(paperlions,Cur68,proudlycanadian,historiaphiliac)and downvote people who add nothing to the conversation.I would love to see even more of the GREAT debates with a little less,this team sucks or that player sucks,and more of WHY you think this team sucks or that team sucks.Know what I mean?

In closing, i love you all and I like to think that this kind of discourse is a new world order we can live with.Sorry if I sound sappy but I really am happy to go to a website that gets it.C.C.I have been following you for 4 and a half years and agree with you about 68% of the time but at least you give good arguements(must be the lawyer in you)DC,MP you all rock.

Tl,dr This site is the best site about baseball on the web.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Oh yeah,I am sure I made a million mistakes.EDIT FUNCTION,I feel like one of you already,haha

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Cur does zero research Slappy.
        Like Paper said…you can’t trust Canadians.
        Unless they are talking about hunting and fishing.
        Or cold weather gear…or wilderness survival tips.
        Hell…they can’t even spell correctly!

• cur68 - Dec 4, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Well I’d blush if I could. Me? Research? Shit, if only my supervisor & committee thought I did research. They mostly think I make shit up. Which I do. But I research that shit. Anyhow, thanks for the props. I just ride paperlion’s coattails anyways.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Do not sell yourself short cur,I am a Red Sox fan but you have made me take into consideration that Red Sox ,Yankees do not a division make.HaHa

Regaurding Paperlions though,yeah,every time I think some one has a good rebuttle about ANYTHING paper does the research and I have to take away the thumbs up I gave to some one else.No shit paper,I think I have downvoted you maybe 30 or 40 times in 3 years.Keep up the GREAT work.

• paperlions - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I do not wear a coat and certainly nothing with tails. Cur’s a liar, you can’t trust Canadians.

• paperlions - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Oh yeah, boobz.

• cur68 - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Damn right, boobz.

7. jwbiii - Dec 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM

You can never have too many young quality arms given the TINSTAAPP attrition rate, but the Mets really need to trade for pieces they need and can use soon. Quality is about right, but right size, wrong shape. No deal.

8. lostsok - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Dickey would be a fine #3 starter behind Kershaw and Greinke (or 4th behind Beckett), but LA would be wise to keep an arm like Zach Lee’s. Gordon looks unlikely to every hold an onbase average, so trade him for whatever, but Lee…the Mets would be getting an early Christmas for a near-40 knuckleballer. This season was magic for RA Dickey, who’s a great guy and I rooted for him all the way, but hoping he’ll do it even one more time is a lot to ask for…

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet