Dec 4, 2012, 7:15 PM EST
Victorino instead signed a three-year, $39 million contract with the Red Sox, netting him an extra $2 million annually.
The $44 million would have been the biggest contract ever handed out in free agency by the Indians, and the second biggest deal in team history, behind Hafner’s four-year, $57 million deal that just expired. Kerry Wood’s two-year, $20.5 million pact signed four years ago rates as the team’s biggest outside expenditure to date.
It’d seem to be a good sign that the Indians have the money to spend, though one wonders where they might redirect it now. They don’t appear to be in on Michael Bourn or Nick Swisher (who would likely prefer an ocean view anyway). Adam LaRoche would make sense, but they haven’t been mentioned in connection with him. They could go after Cody Ross or Ryan Ludwick. It’s possible they’ll be in the market for two outfielders since Shin-Soo Choo is on the block.
Jan 27, 2015, 2:48 PM EST
Welcome to the future, man.
Jan 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
Specifically, a reduction in size of an area of land protected in order to help keep drinking water clean
Jan 27, 2015, 2:01 PM EST
Dyson requested $1.6 million and the Royals countered at $900,000.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
The league now requires Cuban players to get a much more difficult to obtain clearance to sign than even the federal government requires.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
One Hall of Fame expert argues that Selig should have to cool his heels before waltzing into Cooperstown
Jan 27, 2015, 11:03 AM EST
So long that he’s one of the few GMs who rocked a flip phone after he already had the top job.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:50 AM EST
As of six weeks ago Angels manager Mike Scioscia was telling reporters that the team didn’t expect Garrett Richards back from knee surgery until May.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EST
Great Moments in Spring Training Cliches.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:10 AM EST
No, it’s not “because the balls don’t have air inside them in baseball.” Though that is a good point.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
McGee is expected to begin the season on the disabled list, but he’s hoping to return by late April or early May.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:05 PM EST
Ottavino has quietly been very effective since joining the Rockies in 2012, posting a 3.60 ERA over 179 relief appearances while averaging 9.3 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:01 PM EST
After negotiations with Ryan Vogelsong broke down last week, the Astros are now considering alternatives.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:07 PM EST
Gutierrez has played a grand total of 173 games dating back to 2011 and sat out last season due to a gastrointestinal issue.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
Avila is making a change in hopes of avoiding future concussions.
Jan 26, 2015, 7:09 PM EST
The announcement comes after the Blue Jays reportedly ended their pursuit of Orioles executive VP Dan Duquette.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
The 29-year-old hit just .245/.304/.347 with three home runs and nine RBI across 81 games with the Braves last season and was designated for assignment in November.
I don’t know if Dustin Pedroia is in the Best Shape of His life, but he IS posing with his shirt off
Jan 26, 2015, 5:04 PM EST
Before cell phone cameras we just sat around and posed in the mirror. Now we can share that with everyone.
Jan 26, 2015, 4:16 PM EST
Norris asked for $10.25 million and the Orioles countered at $7.5 million.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:49 PM EST
Buck joins Christian Bethancourt and A.J. Pierzynski on the Braves’ catching depth chart.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
Now, if they’ll bring back the beer mug Bernie slides into, everything will be A-OK.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 26
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (87)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)