Dec 4, 2012, 11:14 PM EDT
Lopez was nearly traded to the Phillies for right-hander Tyler Cloyd and catcher Sebastian Valle last week, but the deal fell apart, reportedly because the Phillies’ physical brought up red flags. Tonight’s deal is official, suggesting that he passed a physical with the Rockies.
Lopez went 6-3 with 10 saves and a 2.17 ERA in 66 1/3 innings for the Astros last season. He’s pitched 60 innings with a sub-3.00 ERA each of the last three years. Possessing some of the best command of any reliever in the league, he’ll fit in nicely in front of Rafael Betancourt in the Rockies pen.
White was one of the two top prospects the Rockies got from the Indians for Ubaldo Jimenez in 2011, but he’s been a disappointment since. He went 2-9 with a 5.51 ERA and a 64/51 K/BB ratio in 98 innings for the Rockies last season. Getting out of Coors Field should help him, though his ceiling no longer seems as high as it appeared a couple of years ago. He’ll be a strong candidate to claim a spot in Houston’s rotation next spring.
The 23-year-old Gillingham, a 2011 11th-round pick, was 6-8 with a 3.66 ERA and an 83/28 K/BB ratio in 123 innings for low-A Asheville last season.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)