Dec 4, 2012, 1:01 AM EDT
The Angels are still holding out hope to retain free agent right-hander Zack Greinke, but they are also considering some backup plans in case things don’t work out. With that in mind, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that they are one of many teams in the mix for free agent right-hander Edwin Jackson.
Jackson, 29, posted a 4.03 ERA and 168/58 K/BB ratio over 189 2/3 innings this season as a member of the Nationals. After settling for a one-year, $11 million deal last offseason under his former agent Scott Boras, he should be able to land a multi-year pact this offseason. There’s a good chance he’ll be pitching for his eighth different organization in 2013.
As of now, the Angels’ rotation projects to include Jered Weaver, C.J. Wilson, recent acquisition Tommy Hanson, Garrett Richards and Jerome Williams. Of course, things will likely look different come Opening Day. Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reported yesterday that the Angels have checked in on Anibal Sanchez while they have also been linked to names like Ryan Dempster, Kyle Lohse and Shaun Marcum. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports brought up a scenario earlier today that the Angels could even consider bringing back Dan Haren after declining his $15.5 million option for 2013 last month.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)