Dec 4, 2012, 1:01 AM EDT
The Angels are still holding out hope to retain free agent right-hander Zack Greinke, but they are also considering some backup plans in case things don’t work out. With that in mind, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that they are one of many teams in the mix for free agent right-hander Edwin Jackson.
Jackson, 29, posted a 4.03 ERA and 168/58 K/BB ratio over 189 2/3 innings this season as a member of the Nationals. After settling for a one-year, $11 million deal last offseason under his former agent Scott Boras, he should be able to land a multi-year pact this offseason. There’s a good chance he’ll be pitching for his eighth different organization in 2013.
As of now, the Angels’ rotation projects to include Jered Weaver, C.J. Wilson, recent acquisition Tommy Hanson, Garrett Richards and Jerome Williams. Of course, things will likely look different come Opening Day. Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reported yesterday that the Angels have checked in on Anibal Sanchez while they have also been linked to names like Ryan Dempster, Kyle Lohse and Shaun Marcum. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports brought up a scenario earlier today that the Angels could even consider bringing back Dan Haren after declining his $15.5 million option for 2013 last month.
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 47
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)