The coolest business card you’ll see today

Dec 4, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT

I had the pleasure of meeting Ben Gellman-Chomsky for the first time at last year’s Winter Meetings in Dallas. Ben is a play-by-play guy, who broadcast games for the Hickory Crawdads of the Sally League in 2011 and the Hudson Valley Renegades of the New York-Penn League this past season. He’s a nice kid. Originally from Columbus, too.

I caught up with him last night and, as is often the case with young up-and-comers like Ben, he’s looking for his next gig at the Winter Meetings.  Given what I know of him — he has a good voice, is smart, knows the game and he’s funny — I think he’ll do fine.  But every little bit helps in the competitive world of sports broadcasting, and Ben has a little bit that, if the world is just and fair, that should help: a killer business card.

The front is pretty normal:

source:

But check out the awesome back:

source:

Yeah, that’s a 1989 Topps back. I recognized it the second he gave it to me. Ben is only 26 so he himself was too young to really appreciate that card, but I bet he’s banking on the old men who make hiring decisions in baseball to see that card and have an instant, positive reaction. I sure did.

Good luck, Ben. Although with your savvy, you probably don’t need it.

1. shynessismyelguapo - Dec 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM

That’s pretty cool and all, but did his marketing department provide him with 3,000 business cards that list his job title as “CMR Aministrater”.

No? Then I still win.

(not, it’s supposed to say “CRM Administrator”, but the marketing guy didn’t think spell checking was terribly important)

• dirtydave6986 - Dec 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I’m lost, where does it say CRM Aministrater or for that matter CRM Administrator?

• pauleee - Dec 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Um, Shyness was talking about HIS business cards.

I had to scroll down to see the back of the card, so at first glance I thought Craig had been hitting the bottle early today. But the back is outstanding.

• umrguy42 - Dec 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Nice! Btw, do you by any chance administrate the CRM 114?

• dowhatifeellike - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM

On my first day of work I noticed that my new boss’ cards had the wrong phone number. He threw the box in the trash and told me to take my tie off because “we don’t do that around here”. Then HR ordered a new box for me (mine were fine) and not my boss. Good times.

2. heyblueyoustink - Dec 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Apparently, carrying the last name of “Chomsky” comes with a little natural creativity and quirkiness.

3. poorwalt - Dec 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I agree, very cool business card. However, broadcasting is show business and he might want to consider changing the last name to something that flows a bit nicer…

But what do I know, Gellman-Chomsky could certainly be the next Scully/Buck/Allen/etc.

4. darthicarus - Dec 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I’ll be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever flipped a business card over to see if there’s anything on the back…and the front of that card doesn’t make me think this guy is any sort of creative to want to look at his card any further.

But that is a damn great idea he had for the flip-side.

• josemartez - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Agree 100%. Back of the card is killer, but the front looks like it was designed in Word.

5. bigleagues - Dec 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Ben, good job. I like it and it would have gotten my attention. Now closing the interview and gettin the job is next.

6. Ari Collins - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Love that scene in American Psycho.

Great card, too.

7. deathmonkey41 - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM

He kinda looks like Murray ‘Boz’ Bozinsky from the show RipTide. Did he come with a robot named The Roboz? If he doesn’t remember the Topps back, he’s certainly not going to remember that show.

8. mj1818 - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM

The Gastonia Grizzlies have very similar business cards too they have a great atmosphere that any young professional would be lucky to join.

9. beefytrout - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM

A few things:

It’s weird to see such a creative idea for the back side coupled with perhaps the most basic and boring layout possible on the front.

Not sure the actual Topps info/logo was needed to make this stand out (technically, it’s trademark infringement).

I hate QR codes.

• zebbers - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

The qr code really goofs up the whole thing.

Should have made the front with the same design front.

10. dawgpoundmember - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM

The guy is 8 days younger than me and while I was not REALLY into collecting cards, my older brother was so I would look at his all the time, 89 was early Craig but that doesn’t mean I do not remember things from say 92.

11. dcfan4life - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Love how you recognized it being a Topps 1989 back immediately. Not like it says Topps 1989 on the back in plain view or anything…lol.

12. andyreidisthegoat - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM

and taco had cards may up that say he is the taco of the league.

gotta love the league

13. brent05cards - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM

that’s awesome!!

14. shanabartels - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM

My friend Ali used to have an excellent business card. The front reads “Allison Huntington Chase” and her phone number in a fancy-looking script-y font. Flip it over to the back and it simply reads “Ninja.” She probably has a serious card now, but I keep the old one in my wallet just for kicks.

15. yankeesgameday - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Craig just gave out this kid’s cell number to the whole internets. Mike Napoli is gonna be pissed at you.

16. willclarkgameface - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM

To bad the front is so damn standard issue and boring. The back kicks ass!

17. decimusprime - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM

He may have given the whole internets Ben’s number which could very well end up being seen by a potential employer, and because of his creativity, his business card was just given to millions of people (or how ever many people read these blogs) for free. Way to go Ben!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2827)