Dec 4, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
I had the pleasure of meeting Ben Gellman-Chomsky for the first time at last year’s Winter Meetings in Dallas. Ben is a play-by-play guy, who broadcast games for the Hickory Crawdads of the Sally League in 2011 and the Hudson Valley Renegades of the New York-Penn League this past season. He’s a nice kid. Originally from Columbus, too.
I caught up with him last night and, as is often the case with young up-and-comers like Ben, he’s looking for his next gig at the Winter Meetings. Given what I know of him — he has a good voice, is smart, knows the game and he’s funny — I think he’ll do fine. But every little bit helps in the competitive world of sports broadcasting, and Ben has a little bit that, if the world is just and fair, that should help: a killer business card.
The front is pretty normal:
But check out the awesome back:
Yeah, that’s a 1989 Topps back. I recognized it the second he gave it to me. Ben is only 26 so he himself was too young to really appreciate that card, but I bet he’s banking on the old men who make hiring decisions in baseball to see that card and have an instant, positive reaction. I sure did.
Good luck, Ben. Although with your savvy, you probably don’t need it.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 40
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 44
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months