Dec 4, 2012, 8:33 AM EST
One of the biggest trades in recent history went down at the Winter Meetings a few years ago. It involved Curtis Granderson. Could we see such a thing happen again this year? Buster Olney says it’s at least possible:
NYY have been open to talks about Curtis Granderson. If they move his $15m salary, it would provide more flexibility to do other things.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 4, 2012
I suppose it would provide flexibility. What it wouldn’t do is help the 2013 Yankees, in all likelihood. With A-Rod out, Jeter coming off an injury and Nick Swisher presumably out the door, the Yankees aren’t exactly in the position to me moving offense like Granderson.
I assume any team would listen to most any offer for most any player — listening is free — but it makes little sense for the Yankees to flip Granderson at the moment, even if they seem more focused on reducing payroll than they’ve ever been.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)