Dec 5, 2012, 5:15 PM EST
They still need plenty of rotation help, but the Angels have added another late-inning option to their bullpen. Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that they’ve signed left-hander Sean Burnett to a two-year deal with an option for 2015.
Burnett joins Ryan Madson in a new-look bullpen after spending the past three-and-a-half seasons in Washington, where he was quietly one of the most effective southpaw relievers in baseball with a 2.81 ERA and 172/66 K/BB ratio in 202 innings.
He figures to join right-hander Ernesto Frieri as Madson’s primary setup men and the Angels suddenly have a very deep, talented bullpen with guys like Kevin Jepsen and Scott Downs slated for secondary setup roles.
UPDATE, 6:15 PM: It’s a two-year, $8 million contract, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times. And it comes with $1.25 million in incentives based on games pitched and a $4.5 million vesting option (or $500,000 buyout) for the 2015 season.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 129
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 244
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (257)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)