Dec 5, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
They still need plenty of rotation help, but the Angels have added another late-inning option to their bullpen. Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that they’ve signed left-hander Sean Burnett to a two-year deal with an option for 2015.
Burnett joins Ryan Madson in a new-look bullpen after spending the past three-and-a-half seasons in Washington, where he was quietly one of the most effective southpaw relievers in baseball with a 2.81 ERA and 172/66 K/BB ratio in 202 innings.
He figures to join right-hander Ernesto Frieri as Madson’s primary setup men and the Angels suddenly have a very deep, talented bullpen with guys like Kevin Jepsen and Scott Downs slated for secondary setup roles.
UPDATE, 6:15 PM: It’s a two-year, $8 million contract, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times. And it comes with $1.25 million in incentives based on games pitched and a $4.5 million vesting option (or $500,000 buyout) for the 2015 season.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)