Dec 5, 2012, 5:15 PM EST
They still need plenty of rotation help, but the Angels have added another late-inning option to their bullpen. Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that they’ve signed left-hander Sean Burnett to a two-year deal with an option for 2015.
Burnett joins Ryan Madson in a new-look bullpen after spending the past three-and-a-half seasons in Washington, where he was quietly one of the most effective southpaw relievers in baseball with a 2.81 ERA and 172/66 K/BB ratio in 202 innings.
He figures to join right-hander Ernesto Frieri as Madson’s primary setup men and the Angels suddenly have a very deep, talented bullpen with guys like Kevin Jepsen and Scott Downs slated for secondary setup roles.
UPDATE, 6:15 PM: It’s a two-year, $8 million contract, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times. And it comes with $1.25 million in incentives based on games pitched and a $4.5 million vesting option (or $500,000 buyout) for the 2015 season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 60
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 32
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)