Dec 5, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
They still need plenty of rotation help, but the Angels have added another late-inning option to their bullpen. Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that they’ve signed left-hander Sean Burnett to a two-year deal with an option for 2015.
Burnett joins Ryan Madson in a new-look bullpen after spending the past three-and-a-half seasons in Washington, where he was quietly one of the most effective southpaw relievers in baseball with a 2.81 ERA and 172/66 K/BB ratio in 202 innings.
He figures to join right-hander Ernesto Frieri as Madson’s primary setup men and the Angels suddenly have a very deep, talented bullpen with guys like Kevin Jepsen and Scott Downs slated for secondary setup roles.
UPDATE, 6:15 PM: It’s a two-year, $8 million contract, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times. And it comes with $1.25 million in incentives based on games pitched and a $4.5 million vesting option (or $500,000 buyout) for the 2015 season.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 23
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 8
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 38
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (109)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save