Great Moments in Trade Rumors: Phillies-Diamondbacks edition

Dec 5, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Yesterday Pedro Gomez of ESPN reported that the Diamondbacks and Phillies were discussing a Justin Upton for Cliff Lee trade:

It was almost immediately shot down by Ruben Amaro.  Later in the evening, Gomez explained the basis of his report:

If “it was discussed internally on one side” is what constitutes a trade rumor these days, the field of trade rumor reporting is about to get a lot more difficult. Certainly busier.

1. illcomm - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM

lee for upton, granderson or ellisbury. whoever eats the most monies

• Jeremy T - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Lee’s still a very valuable pitcher. I’m not sure if my Yankees would give up Grandy, since there doesn’t seem to be an heir apparent in CF (or LF if Gardner moves over), but anyone who doesn’t want Lee in their rotation isn’t paying attention.

• jwbiii - Dec 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I don’t think it matters, even if the Phillies are looking to trade him. Lee has a 21 team partial NTC and his wife doesn’t like New York. I’ll bet the Yankees (and the Mets) are on his list of blocked teams.

• paperlions - Dec 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM

A lot of teams would take on all of his remaining salary….$87.5M for 3 years or $102.5M for 4 years (if the option is picked up)….the vast majority of teams just don’t have that kind of money in their budget for one player, no matter how good he is.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:17 PM

*cough* Dodgers *cough*

2. mrobinson14 - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Doesn’t it take two teams to talk about a trade? Silly Pedro

3. seanmk - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

a few years ago it was internally discussed on one team that the phillies would trade Ryan Howard to Albert pujols. that was a trade rumor as much as this was

• Jeremy T - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I wasn’t aware Pujols was in the market to collect his own team of players. I wonder who he was going to give up to acquire Howard?

4. Ben - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Christ am I ever glad my internal monologues don’t get published.

5. navyteach - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Internal trade discussion (in my house) has Harper and Strasburg going to Red Sox for Ellsbury and Lester.

6. bmoreballers - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Pedro misses Barry

7. paperlions - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

BS

Does “Phillies and Diamondbacks are discussing Justin Upton for Cliff Lee” sound at all like an internal discussion on one side?

If he twists things he hears that much, there is no reason at all to pay attention to his “reporting”.

8. lroc20 - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Pedro Gomez= toolbag

9. ruehlmann - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Did you notice Pedro Gomez never denied that he didn’t completely make that rumor up?

10. dwrek5 - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Hey Pedro, I think Ed Werder needs help at Valley Ranch if you 2 want to team up and makeup news for ESPN.

• skids003 - Dec 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Pedro would do well working for MSNBC, they make it up too.

11. Joe - Dec 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Well, if nothing else, it gave the sports talkers in Philly something to yap about yesterday.

12. Kevin Gillman - Dec 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Nice to know Pedro could come out of Barry Bonds’ bushes to shell out that trade rumor.

13. itsonlyaspeedbump - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I’m surprised that people take ESPN seriously as a news source. I don’t watch/read much ESPN nowadays other than games, but I thought over the last several years they’ve made it clear that they are a broadcast network first and mindless entertainment company second.

Their news service is topical, so you have to know that at times in their rush to deliver ‘breaking news’ guys like Gomez are going to put some baseless rumors out there for Craig and the rest of us to mock.

More mindless entertainment I guess.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS