Dec 5, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
Another day dawns in Nashville, and with it comes another day of anticipation of one of the two biggies on the free agent market — Josh Hamilton or Zack Greinke — to sign someplace. As of now the highest-ranked name from our Free Agent Tracker that has signed during the Winter Meetings is Dan Haren at number 14. Not exactly excitement central here this year, unless you count people’s exasperation at Shane Victorino somehow getting $13 million a year from the Red Sox “excitement.”
As for official events here, the schedule is light today as well. There’s the Winter Meetings Gala tonight. It’s a no-media-invited event that, normally, takes place in a hotel ballroom and. From outside in the hallway in years past it looks like a wedding reception or something. This year they’re having it at the Dave and Buster’s in the mall next door to the hotel. Wish I could be part of that, because I’d love to see league officials playing whack-a-mole and stuff.
The unofficial slate resumes as well. Last night I had dinner with some baseball writers at a pretty fantastic burger and beer joint. When people weren’t eating burgers with bacon and eggs on them — yeah, I got one of those — they were checking their phones and noting just how little continues to happen on the signing and trade front. It ended as a very early night for me — I was in bed by 11 because, man, you just gotta pace yourself here — and when I woke up a little while ago I noted that, for the most part, nothing continued to happen overnight.
Maybe today. As always, we’ll have it for you if it does.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)