Greetings from Day Three of the Winter Meetings

Dec 5, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT

Farm Burger Pharmacy

Another day dawns in Nashville, and with it comes another day of anticipation of one of the two biggies on the free agent market — Josh Hamilton or Zack Greinke — to sign someplace.  As of now the highest-ranked name from our Free Agent Tracker that has signed during the Winter Meetings is Dan Haren at number 14.  Not exactly excitement central here this year, unless you count people’s exasperation at Shane Victorino somehow getting $13 million a year from the Red Sox “excitement.”

As for official events here, the schedule is light today as well.  There’s the Winter Meetings Gala tonight. It’s a no-media-invited event that, normally, takes place in a hotel ballroom and.  From outside in the hallway in years past it looks like a wedding reception or something.  This year they’re having it at the Dave and Buster’s in the mall next door to the hotel.  Wish I could be part of that, because I’d love to see league officials playing whack-a-mole and stuff.

The unofficial slate resumes as well. Last night I had dinner with some baseball writers at a pretty fantastic burger and beer joint. When people weren’t eating burgers with bacon and eggs on them — yeah, I got one of those — they were checking their phones and noting just how little continues to happen on the signing and trade front.  It ended as a very early night for me — I was in bed by 11 because, man, you just gotta pace yourself here — and when I woke up a little while ago I noted that, for the most part, nothing continued to happen overnight.

Maybe today. As always, we’ll have it for you if it does.

1. tigers182 - Dec 5, 2012 at 7:36 AM

More sandwiches should have eggs on them.

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM

And bacon.

• paperlions - Dec 5, 2012 at 8:37 AM

In Paraguay, it is pretty standard (especially rurally) for hamburgers to come with eggs on them with the yolks broken and hard. When I got back to the states, I would ask places if I could have a such an egg added to my burger….almost everywhere looked at me like I was crazy…but nearly everywhere would do it. It is exactly as great as it sounds.

• heyblueyoustink - Dec 5, 2012 at 8:47 AM

[Talking to his psychiatrist about going to his high school reunion]
        Marty: “They all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and, you know, they’ve all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? “I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How’ve you been?”

Sorry, first thing that came to mind when you wrote Paraguay……..

• heyblueyoustink - Dec 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Tigers: any chance you’re a high priced cardiologist? ;-)

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Are you kidding? Even a pre-med could look at that sandwich and envision a fifteen millimeter plaque deposit in the carotid artery. And it probably affects humans even more egregiously than carrots!

• natstowngreg - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM

My arteries are hardening just reading this.

2. andreweac - Dec 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Petty should be pretty?

3. proudlycanadian - Dec 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM

The Red Sox continue to spend freely on spare parts. Could it be that the big names such as Hamilton and Greinke want no part of them?

• paperlions - Dec 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I think they want no part of long deals…and so…are making a completely different type of mistake. At least they are cheaper mistakes.

4. indaburg - Dec 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM

That looks absolutely delicious. Are those sweet potato fries I see? Good thing the burger joint is a pharmacy too. You can get your cholesterol meds along with the food.

• stex52 - Dec 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I’m on a daily Advicor regimen. I scoff at your cholesterol. And I like an occasional egg on a sandwich. But unfortunately cholesterol drugs don’t keep you from getting fat.

• indaburg - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM

“…cholesterol drugs don’t keep you from getting fat.”
        Ain’t that the truth? The only thing that works is energy out > energy in. I rarely indulge often in the items pictured in Craig’s meal, but when I do, I savor every single artery clogging molecule to its fullest extent. Like Chris Rock says: “People are starving all over the world, what do you mean, ‘red meat will kill you?’ Don’t eat no red meat? No, don’t eat no green meat. If you are one of the chosen few people in the world lucky enough to get your hands on a steak, you bite the shit out of it!”

5. snowbirdgothic - Dec 5, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I assume Jon Heyman will be reporting on the possibility of a “mystery topping” later today?

6. historiophiliac - Dec 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM

That looks disgusting.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Finally. A culinary preference we can agree on. Not only disgusting, but really bad for you, too. He might as well be playing Russian Roulette with his coronary vessels.

I’d have a salad and lot of vodka if I’d had to eat that thing. The vegetation to grab the fat so it “passes” & the vodka to not only thin my blood but prevent me from thinking too deeply about how bad that is for me.

• historiophiliac - Dec 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I’ll have the salad (salmon? mmmmm) and vodka (or a nice glass of wine) and you can have my sammich there then. Not only does that thing clog my arteries just looking at it, it’s greasy and gross (not in a good way). And, I can save room for cheesecake.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Mmm…cheesecake. The bast cake.

• historiophiliac - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

/suppresses beefcake joke lol

7. sdelmonte - Dec 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Is it true that league officials used to paint Don Fehr’s picture on the moles they whack? And that they sold them to the NHL? (It would be in poor taste joke about Michael Weiner, all things considered.)

8. sportsdrenched - Dec 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM

That breakfast will NOT get you in the Best Shape of Your Life.

• historiophiliac - Dec 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Dude, it’s not even breakfast — that’s what’s so super gross about it. But, yes, it’s guaranteed to help get you in the Worst Shape of Your Life, if you have too many.

9. bklynbaseball - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Dave and Buster’s??? Wow, the Gala sure isn’t what it used to be. Last time we were in Nashville, it was at the Wild Horse Saloon downtown. Hope you’re having a good time Craig.

10. chc4 - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Which burger/beer joint? Nashville is a great food city. Lots of great grub around the Vandy area. Rotier’s is a must. Check out South Street too on 21st a few blocks from campus. Great locals joint.

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Pharmacy. In East Nashville.

• chadjones27 - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I love the irony of the name of that place.
        Anyway, I think I’m going to make myself a burger similar to that one tonight for dinner. Still not as bad for you as my previous concoction: Double Bacon Cheesburger on Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. (btw, that’s a grilled cheese sandwich for EACH bun). It was absolutely delicious!

11. mungman69 - Dec 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Are these eggs green?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3838)