If you’re looking to buy me something, may I suggest these cool hand-painted gloves?

Dec 5, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

I ran into a cool guy selling cool things yesterday.  The guy: Sean Kane, an artist from Ontario, who takes vintage baseball gloves and paints the most wonderful things on them.  He had a couple of models with him, but my favorite was the Jackie Robinson number he had with him:

source:

source:

He does these in acrylics, and it takes him a good while. So, not surprisingly, they’re not cheap — we’re talking over a thousand bucks for some of them.  But they are certainly unique, cool and smart too. For example, he painted Ernie Banks on an old-style two-fingered glove for “let’s play two.”  Kinda dig that. Go check out Sean’s wares and his FAQ if this sort of thing jazzes you.

The Winter Meetings: everyone comes here for the trades and the signings, but there are cool things like this around every corner.

1. Francisco (FC) - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Craig was back in his suite after another day at the Winter Meetings. The Trade Shows were nice, he was thinking of spluring for one of the many fascinating items he saw. It was really slow news day when he thought more about trades shows and merchandise than baseball trades and deals. It’s just that there was nothing really big or juicy to report. Yet. Oh there have been signings, but after B.J. Upton’s five year deal was finalized ( Glad Craig took the time to find a personal guide and recruiter to coax B.J to Atlana – Take that Phanssss! Rassspberrrrrryyy! ), people are still waiting for the Next Big Deal or the Next Big Trade. Back in his bathrobe and filling out his bubble pipe, he paused as he saw a shadowy figure standing in the corner of the room. He frowned and then let out an exasperated sigh as the figure turned on the lamp and stepped forward.

“What are you doing here? Don’t you have another gun speech to pontificate about?”, asked Craig.

“I was bored, I just pick something and rant,” said the man. He was also wearing a bathrobe, much more elegant and shiny with all sorts of decorations. “I’m here because the League of Extraordinarily Bathrobed Gentlemen is concerned that you may be pushing too hard on the Hall of Fame PED issues.”

Craig shrugged. “Too hard? What makes the league think that?”

“Oh, just the 30 to 40 posts a day you seem to blog on the subject. We don’t want rock the boat too hard.”

Craig gave him a dismissive wave. “That’s exaggeration. In any case the topic deserves a spotlight. This is Clemens and Bonds we’re talking about. Arguably the most controversial cases the Hall of Fame has yet to consider.”

The man gave a light chuckle. “You see? You’re the adventurer, that’s why they call you Craig the Gray and they call me Costas the White.”

“I think they call you that because you’re older.” said Craig as Bob walked back to his corner.

Bob waved a nagging finger back. “Be careful, Craig. We gave you the Bathrobe, we can take it back. Tread lightly.” With that the lamp turned off and Costas disappeared. Craig wondered how he did that…

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Did he bring the cat with him? I feel the cat should be in these things.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM

The Cat is doing under the radar surveillance for him. Can’t carry a cat with you around a trade show. It would be too suspicious!

2. umrguy42 - Dec 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Nah, sorry Craig. It’s that blue and yellow wig, or nothin’.

3. modellforprez - Dec 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM

omg like hey sus cicciala can’t fargin wait to get me clinton barmes glove schnikes this will be like totally do cool I think I might have the squirts and grizzlies

4. birdman6824 - Dec 5, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I wonder whether a license fee is required

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2563)