Dec 5, 2012, 6:01 PM EDT
Those two teams are also known to be interested in Kevin Youkilis, who lost one lessor suitor when his old team, the White Sox, signed Jeff Keppinger today. Youkilis has also been mentioned in connection with the Dodgers and Philies, but the Indians and Yankees seem like his best bets for now.
The Indians would likely use Youkilis at first base, though they’d have the option of putting him at third if Lonnie Chisenhall struggles. The Yankees want Youkilis as a stopgap third baseman with Alex Rodriguez out for two or three months.
Youkilis’ close relationship with Terry Francona from their days in Boston could come into play with the Indians. Also, Youkilis is from Cincinnati.
As for Reynolds, he offers 30-homer power, but he’s a poor defender at third base, and he’d likely be more valuable playing first, as he did for the Orioles last season. He’d probably come cheaper than Youkilis, and unlike Youkilis, he doesn’t look like a candidate for a multiyear deal.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 40
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 75
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)