Dec 5, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
I’ve learned to more or less ignore the managerial availabilities here at the Winter Meetings because, let’s be honest, they’re 30 slightly different exercises in saying nothing. At least they are now that Ozzie Guillen is gone. Just the offseason version of “we gotta take ‘em one day at a time” ManagerSpeak.
I went to Jim Leyland’s just now, though, because he makes me laugh. And he didn’t disappoint. The highlights:
- Leyland was asked about Miguel Cabrera playing in the World Baseball Classic. Leyland said he’s not a fan of the WBC but “I support it because the Commissioner gets mad when I say I don’t support it.” Mr. Leyland, Commissioner Selig is on line two. I think you had better take it.
- He was asked about the Tigers’ closer situation and didn’t tip the Tigers’ hand, but he did say “One thing you can say about Jose Valverde, he knows how to turn the page.” After watching him pitch late in the season, I think that book is “Fifty Shades of Grey.”
- Asked about the future of the Tigers, and how long until Avisail Garcia or Nick Castellanos may become regulars, he said “you know, that’s a very good question.” He didn’t answer it, but he did acknowledge that it was a good question.
- Leyland asked who the team to beat is in the AL Central: “Hopefully the Tigers.”
- On an actually substantive topic, he was asked about Gene Lamont becoming the bench coach. He said that Lamont’s knees were going and it’d be easier on him to be in the dugout rather than couching third. Color me dubious. Leyland has never had a need for a bench coach and you don’t move an effective third base coach if you can avoid it. Gotta figure this was devised to get a better third base coach without firing Leyland’s longtime compadre.
- Leyland, when asked about getting over the World Series, said “you can’t chew yesterday’s breakfast.” People who follow Leyland closely are mostly surprised that he only used that phrase once.
- Leyland apparently just attended his 50th high school reunion. He said he had a good time. He was asked about the women at the reunion: “They looked pretty good to me. I wonder how they thought old Jimbo looked.” When people laughed he noted that, back in high school, he was voted “Most Popular Boy” and said that if we didn’t believe him we could go look in his yearbook.
- Finally, as Leyland’s presser was ending, Terry Francona walked over and hovered, waiting to sit down for his own press conference. The reporters flocked to Francona, leaving old Jimbo with a much smaller crowd than he started with.
“Most Popular Boy” my foot.
OK, back to the rumors and stuff.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Minor leaguers have filed a lawsuit against Major League Baseball alleging unfair labor practices. Here’s the story of one player who realized that there has to be a better way.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
If anyone tells you they know what’s going to happen in the next week they’re lying to you. But let’s try to break this thing down all the same.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
For the third time in five years, the Giants are in the World Series. For the third time in five years, someone tries to claim they’re there because they are some sort of anti-stats organization. Which is baloney.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
To be fair, a Colossal Dog probably tastes pretty good.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:42 AM EDT
After four days without baseball, the World Series finally kicks off. Wait, not, it begins. “Kicks off” is a football term and dumb football is the whole reason we had to wait four days for the World Series to start.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Cardinals expect that Wainwright will benefit from normal rest during the offseason.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
Molitor has been considered the favorite for the job and now he’s having another meeting with GM Terry Ryan.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
Choate posted a 4.50 ERA over 61 appearances this season, but he held left-handed batters to an .093/.205/.147 batting line.
Oct 20, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Bogar served as former manager Ron Washington’s bench coach and then went 14-8 as interim manager for a team that had been horrible until that point.
Oct 20, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
The Yankees aren’t hiring Dave Magadan as hitting coach, but he could be the favorite for the A’s job after Chili Davis left for the Red Sox.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
Royals manager Ned Yost chose Jason Vargas over James Shields to start Game 4 of the ALCS and now we know one factor that played into the decision: Shields was busy passing a kidney stone.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
Following in the footsteps of fellow MLB players Robinson Cano, CC Sabathia, and his teammate and countryman Rusney Castillo, Red Sox outfielder Yoenis Cespedes will now be represented by Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Hudson revealed during today’s media session that the Royals actually made him a “very good offer.”
Oct 20, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Wanna buy the Royals’ recyclables?
Oct 20, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
He was determined to leave the A’s either way.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
Someone asked Sergio Romo what country he’s from at media day today. Last I checked, California was still part of the United States.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Morse has yet to start a game in the playoffs, but he hit .279 with 16 homers and an .811 OPS in 131 games during the regular season to rank second on the team in OPS behind only Buster Posey.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Jay played through the injury since July, yet he hit .325 in August and September before going 14-for-29 (.483) in the postseason.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Because it is unheard of for Yankees players to have outside interests.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Keller spent 16 total seasons coaching in the Yankees organization, the last six of which have been on the MLB staff.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 0
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 14
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 14
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)