Dec 5, 2012, 11:28 AM EST
Major League Baseball and the Hall of Fame just announced that Tom Cheek, the longtime Toronto Blue Jays announcer, has been selected as the 2013 recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award, presented annually for excellence in broadcasting by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.
Cheek called Blue Jays games from the team’s inception until he was forced out of the booth due to illness in 2004. Indeed, Cheek called every regular season and postseason Blue Jays game from April 7, 1977 through June 2, 2004, when he took a day off for his father’s funeral. It was at that time he was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and was only able to broadcast sporadically thereafter. He passed away on October 9, 2005.
While he was an institution for Jays fans, his most famous call — from the 1993 World Series — is well-known by non-Jays fans: “Touch ’em all Joe! You’ll never hit a bigger home run in your life.”
The Ford C. Frick Award is voted upon annually and is named in memory of the sportswriter, radio broadcaster, National League president and Baseball commissioner. Cheek will be honored at the Hall of Fame’s Awards Presentation on Saturday, July 27 in Cooperstown, along with 2013 J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner Paul Hagen.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)