Dec 5, 2012, 3:26 PM EDT
Both CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman and FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal are reporting that talks between the Diamondbacks, Rangers, Indians and maybe the Rays on a Justin Upton deal have failed to progress.
Rosenthal writes that the talks are essentially at the same point where they were since before the start of the meetings.
Heyman previously indicated that the Rangers could send top pitching prospect Martin Perez and more to Cleveland for Cabrera and then use him to get Upton. However, they might also have to send some of their own minor league talent Arizona’s way to make such a deal materialize.
Other variations of the trade have the Diamondbacks trading one of their top young pitchers, Trevor Bauer (their preference) or Tyler Skaggs (Cleveland’s preference) to get Cabrera from the Indians.
Tampa Bay’s involvement in the deal would probably include James Shields going to Texas and then Rangers third baseman Mike Olt getting sent somewhere. Olt would be a fix for the Rays as a long-term first baseman, but he’d have more value to a team that could use him at third.
Anyway, it doesn’t sound like there’s much chance of an Upton trade materializing today. A Jason Kubel deal might be more likely.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3