Dec 5, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Yet another team has decided to go with two hitting coaches, as the Rays promoted minor league staffer Jamie Nelson to the assistant hitting coach role under primary hitting coach Derek Shelton.
Nelson has been managing and coaching in the Rays’ farm system for 13 years and will also be tasked with working specifically with catchers.
“Assistant hitting coach” was all but unheard of just a few years ago, but now nearly half the teams employ one and this offseason has seen the number rise dramatically.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?