Dec 5, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Yet another team has decided to go with two hitting coaches, as the Rays promoted minor league staffer Jamie Nelson to the assistant hitting coach role under primary hitting coach Derek Shelton.
Nelson has been managing and coaching in the Rays’ farm system for 13 years and will also be tasked with working specifically with catchers.
“Assistant hitting coach” was all but unheard of just a few years ago, but now nearly half the teams employ one and this offseason has seen the number rise dramatically.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 39
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)