Dec 5, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Yet another team has decided to go with two hitting coaches, as the Rays promoted minor league staffer Jamie Nelson to the assistant hitting coach role under primary hitting coach Derek Shelton.
Nelson has been managing and coaching in the Rays’ farm system for 13 years and will also be tasked with working specifically with catchers.
“Assistant hitting coach” was all but unheard of just a few years ago, but now nearly half the teams employ one and this offseason has seen the number rise dramatically.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (87)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)