Dec 5, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
I’m not sure what makes this the “critical stage” — perhaps it’s that the Royals are thinking about giving Ryan Dempster the three-year contract he wants and taking themselves out of the starting pitching market — but FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal is reporting the Royals are nearing a decision on whether to trade top prospect Wil Myers for a starter.
The Kansas City Star’s Bob Dutton says he believes the Royals are just fine with trading Myers for Shields, but that the Rays want more in return. Likewise, the Mets are believed to want more than Myers for Dickey, while it doesn’t appear that the Royals are quite as interested in Dickey anyway.
Myers, who turns 22 next week, hit .314/.387/.600 with 37 homers and 109 RBI between Double- and Triple-A last season. It did come with 140 strikeouts in 522 at-bats, but right-handers with his kind of power don’t come around too often.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)