Dec 5, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
The Royals badly need a front-line starting pitcher.
And it appears they might have one in their sights.
FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi hears that the Kansas City front office has made free agent right-hander Anibal Sanchez their “top choice” this winter. It’s going to cost a ton of money, but the Royals’ higher-ups are surely aware of that and presumably wouldn’t get involved at all if they didn’t think they could swing it.
Sanchez has also been drawing interest this offseason from the Dodgers, Red Sox and Tigers. He’s likely to wait to pick a team until after Zack Greinke sets the market with what could be a record contract for a right-handed starting pitcher.
Sanchez, 28, registered a solid 3.86 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 167/48 K/BB ratio in 195 2/3 innings this past summer between Miami and Detroit. He then posted a shiny 1.77 ERA over three postseason starts.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming