Dec 5, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
The Royals badly need a front-line starting pitcher.
And it appears they might have one in their sights.
FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi hears that the Kansas City front office has made free agent right-hander Anibal Sanchez their “top choice” this winter. It’s going to cost a ton of money, but the Royals’ higher-ups are surely aware of that and presumably wouldn’t get involved at all if they didn’t think they could swing it.
Sanchez has also been drawing interest this offseason from the Dodgers, Red Sox and Tigers. He’s likely to wait to pick a team until after Zack Greinke sets the market with what could be a record contract for a right-handed starting pitcher.
Sanchez, 28, registered a solid 3.86 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 167/48 K/BB ratio in 195 2/3 innings this past summer between Miami and Detroit. He then posted a shiny 1.77 ERA over three postseason starts.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)