Dec 5, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
The Royals badly need a front-line starting pitcher.
And it appears they might have one in their sights.
FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi hears that the Kansas City front office has made free agent right-hander Anibal Sanchez their “top choice” this winter. It’s going to cost a ton of money, but the Royals’ higher-ups are surely aware of that and presumably wouldn’t get involved at all if they didn’t think they could swing it.
Sanchez has also been drawing interest this offseason from the Dodgers, Red Sox and Tigers. He’s likely to wait to pick a team until after Zack Greinke sets the market with what could be a record contract for a right-handed starting pitcher.
Sanchez, 28, registered a solid 3.86 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 167/48 K/BB ratio in 195 2/3 innings this past summer between Miami and Detroit. He then posted a shiny 1.77 ERA over three postseason starts.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20