Scott Boras still trying to entice Tigers on Rafael Soriano

Dec 5, 2012, 9:06 PM EDT

Scott Boras AP

With no teams showing much interest in paying $10 million per year and giving up a draft pick for a closer, agent Scott Boras is hoping the Tigers have a change of heart and bid for Rafael Soriano.

MLB.com’s Jason Beck has the quotes:

“I think the Tigers’ position is one where they’re trying to put together their best team and they haven’t made those decisions yet,” Boras said.

Even before being specifically asked about the Tigers, Boras tried to shoot down the concept of a contender going with a rookie in the closer’s role, as the Tigers are thinking of doing with Bruce Rondon.

“The evidence says that there are many young players in our game that are 20, 21 that can hit 30 home runs and drive in 100 runs and they’re extraordinary talents. Or win 15 games. But there’s never been closers that can come in and get 30 saves,” Boras said. “I think you count on one hand the number of closers under the age of 23 that have ever gone to the big leagues and at a young age put together 30 saves, let alone pitch in the postseason and be effective.”

Of course, Boras rarely shoots his mouth off without already having looked up the facts ahead of time. Just two pitchers under the age of 23 have ever saved 30 games in the majors: Huston Street (37 in 2006) and Neftali Feliz (40 in 2010). Seven more have saved 30 games at age 23 (not including Feliz a second time).

That said, I’d certainly put forth the argument that the reason there are so few 30-save relievers that young is because teams are so conservative about keeping veterans in the closer’s role. Whether a young player hits 30 homers is something that player controls. Saves are a manufactured stat, and there are no shortage of 22- and 23-year-old relievers that have been good enough to save 30 games.

1. ezthinking - Dec 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM

And facts on your theory Matt?

• Matthew Pouliot - Dec 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Well, Shawn Chacon once saved 35 games with a 7.11 ERA. But then again, he was a grizzled veteran by that point.

I don’t know exactly what you’re asking me to prove, but I’m pretty sure it will be impossible one way or another.

• ezthinking - Dec 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM

So why float the BS theory then?

2. angrycorgi - Dec 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Scott Boras is a disease.

• vallewho - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM

sounds nasty

3. legacybroken - Dec 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Im sure Dave Dombrowski is getting lots of calls from Heyman telling him he should sign Soriano.

4. genericcommenter - Dec 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Plus, closers are normally converted starters via the way of setup/middle relief, and they don’t tend to be converted and acclimated that young. Young sluggers have always been hitting. For example, at 23 Soriano had started 84 games in pro baseball. Then he made another 200 or so relief appearances before closing regularly. It’s rare that a quality 19 or 20 year pitcher has already been trained for that role.

5. beelza - Dec 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM

As a detroit fan I want the lone Tigers goal to be to win the world Series. I believe that this is the Mike Ilitch’s goal. I don’t care about payroll. I saw the big potato damn near give away the alds in Oakland and atleast one game in the bronx, and they paid him 9 million per year. Yes, I know that this was a sunk cost. For me Tigers have to get at least one of Soriano or Sanchez. Watching Ilitch build his hockey dynasty has given me some insight as to how he contructs his baseball squads. In 2002, Ilitch had a virual All-Star team in the Wings-with one exception, goalie; Ilitch got the best goalie availvble, Hasek, and they won the Cup, he was the final piece. I think the closer position is akin to the goalie position. I think Ilitch brings Soriano. I bet DD is counting on and waiting for Soriano’s market bubble to pop, bringing his price down. Soriano can distort the market the same way Hunter did, by really wanting to go to detroit. If true Tigers get some flex.

6. edelmanfanclub - Dec 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM

This isn’t the first time or the last time Scott Boras has cost a client money because he thinks he can get these ridiculous contracts from everyone. Saves are an overrated stat. No one will pay Soriano north of 13 million he declined from New York. Boras once told Varitek to decline arbitration guaranteeing him 10 million dollars, he had to settle for a 1 year 5 million dollar contract with a 3.5 million dollar player option for the 2nd year. Soriano will get a multiyear deal, but it’ll be 8-11 million annually, not 13 million. If he opted out to get a multiyear deal, It will probably work. If he wanted a multiyear deal with an increase because of his season. It won’t work, he was overpaid as a reliever and no one will overpay for him again.

7. purnellmeagrejr - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM

It seeems Soriano can join the Juan Gonzalez list of Boras players that made huge contractual mistakes by turning down more money than they would get elsewhere.

8. jm91rs - Dec 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I’m shocked that the Yankees didn’t sign him after Boras said “no team with a 42 year old closer has ever won the world series”. I really thought he had them there for 10 million a year for the next 9 years (just before Soriano himself would turn 42). Maybe they countered with “no team with Rafael Soriano has ever won a world series.”

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3092)