Dec 5, 2012, 2:32 PM EST
Not everything is about the Yankees, but a lot of signings are going to cause more of a reaction among Yankees fans than they will with the team which actually makes the signing. Like this one: Jon Heyman reports that the Diamondbacks have signed Eric Chavez. The deal is one year, $3 million, which seems quite reasonable.
Chavez, who hit .281/.349/.496 in the most action he’d seen since 2006, is a pretty good stopgap/platoon situation for the Dbacks, who (a) still have Chris Johnson; and (b) whose future third baseman, Matt Davidson, is a year or two away. Chavez from the left side and Johnson from the right isn’t that bad.
But it does limit the number of options the Yankees have to fill in for A-Rod at third. Even if not everything is about the Yankees.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 0
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40