Dec 5, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
Not everything is about the Yankees, but a lot of signings are going to cause more of a reaction among Yankees fans than they will with the team which actually makes the signing. Like this one: Jon Heyman reports that the Diamondbacks have signed Eric Chavez. The deal is one year, $3 million, which seems quite reasonable.
Chavez, who hit .281/.349/.496 in the most action he’d seen since 2006, is a pretty good stopgap/platoon situation for the Dbacks, who (a) still have Chris Johnson; and (b) whose future third baseman, Matt Davidson, is a year or two away. Chavez from the left side and Johnson from the right isn’t that bad.
But it does limit the number of options the Yankees have to fill in for A-Rod at third. Even if not everything is about the Yankees.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 2
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 57
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (161)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)