Dec 5, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
Not everything is about the Yankees, but a lot of signings are going to cause more of a reaction among Yankees fans than they will with the team which actually makes the signing. Like this one: Jon Heyman reports that the Diamondbacks have signed Eric Chavez. The deal is one year, $3 million, which seems quite reasonable.
Chavez, who hit .281/.349/.496 in the most action he’d seen since 2006, is a pretty good stopgap/platoon situation for the Dbacks, who (a) still have Chris Johnson; and (b) whose future third baseman, Matt Davidson, is a year or two away. Chavez from the left side and Johnson from the right isn’t that bad.
But it does limit the number of options the Yankees have to fill in for A-Rod at third. Even if not everything is about the Yankees.
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 0
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 17
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 42
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 20
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)