Dec 5, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
Not everything is about the Yankees, but a lot of signings are going to cause more of a reaction among Yankees fans than they will with the team which actually makes the signing. Like this one: Jon Heyman reports that the Diamondbacks have signed Eric Chavez. The deal is one year, $3 million, which seems quite reasonable.
Chavez, who hit .281/.349/.496 in the most action he’d seen since 2006, is a pretty good stopgap/platoon situation for the Dbacks, who (a) still have Chris Johnson; and (b) whose future third baseman, Matt Davidson, is a year or two away. Chavez from the left side and Johnson from the right isn’t that bad.
But it does limit the number of options the Yankees have to fill in for A-Rod at third. Even if not everything is about the Yankees.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)