The Indians are talking to Nick Swisher

Dec 5, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT

I’m gonna assume that the Indians are everyone’s negotiating ploy this year: talk to them, get an offer from someplace else. First it was Shane Victorino, now — I’m going to pretend — Nick Swisher:

I see less of a chance that Swisher would sign in Cleveland than Victorino would. Spare me the “well, he’s from Ohio and went to Ohio State” rebop. Me too. And I can tell you, we all want to get out of Ohio if it’s possible.

Seriously, though: Swisher is good enough to be a starter on a championship-caliber team, he has played in New York, his wife is an actress and he’s on record saying he would be interested in returning to the Bay Area. Something tells me that a stop in Ohio with the perpetually-rebuilding Indians is not high on his list.

1. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Dec 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Think the Mets will sign him? They need an outfielder, and with his actress-wife, he probably doesn’t want to leave a market like NY.

2. dcfan4life - Dec 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Everyones talking to the indians. They are like a bar hopping ladies man. Sure knows how to talk to everyone, but it never really goes anywhere.

3. Kevin Gillman - Dec 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Thanks Craig for the diss. I have lived in Ohio my entire life, and I actually enjoy it. Am not crazy about the winter, but love the spring and summer. Plus, I have to believe having Terry Francona as the manager helps, in some degree, which is why if I am Antonelli, I let Terry do all of the talking to any potential player. Antonelli isn’t exactly known as a “people person”.

• stex52 - Dec 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Stephen Colbert was interviewing a congresswoman from Ohio and the topic came up that more astronauts are from Ohio than any other state. Colbert asked,

“What is it Ohio that makes people want to leave the face of the earth?”

Cracked me up.

• Kevin Gillman - Dec 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Yeah it is funny, and I get that there are many jokes about Ohio, but it truly is a nice place to live.

• stex52 - Dec 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Don’t doubt it. I have friends from there. They make it sound like real old-fashioned Midwest.
        In a good way.

• BrownsTown - Dec 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Not to validate his headshot, but it’s debatable that he’s really an Ohioan…..

• Kevin Gillman - Dec 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM

There you go, he does live there though, so I’ll give him that…LOL

4. tashkalucy - Dec 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM

“….the perpetually-rebuilding Indians…. ”

Glad to see you got it Craig.

The Shapiro-Antonetti ‘Never-Ending Rebuild’.

The Power Of Nice – help everyone in the league but your team…..players, agents, coaches, managers, media members…..they look out for everyone but Indian fans. Shaponetti helped Victorino’s agent get a contract from the Red Sox that the two of them could only dream of. They’re trying to get Jason Bay to use their uni and field to rehab and audition for other ML clubs for a year. Next they’ll be helping Youk get that last good contract.

No wonder people all over MLB as well as players agents love Mark Shapiro and Chris Antonetti…..by the way, there was a great interview with Antonetti on MLB network in which he double-talked whether the Indians were rebuilding or gearing up for contention. The network is hiring political media consultants and a few retired CIA analysts to see if they can make heads or tails out of what he (and his mentor Shapiro) mean.

Anyway, no reason for Tribe fans to be dejected – when Shaponettti traded for Ubaldo the FO guys were all over the media talking about the Indians being in a “two-and-a-half year ‘Window Of Contention'” (are these Ivy League marketing guys snappy or what?…..just don’t ask them to scout a baseball player). So Tribe fans are looking forward to contention in 2013, just like they were told!

5. allmyteamsareterrible - Dec 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I am in graduate school and the instant I graduate I am moving back to Ohio. Not only that, I am moving back to Cleveland, Ohio.

Don’t talk for all of us douche bag. You obviously aren’t one of us.

6. jrs45 - Dec 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Put it this way. I live in Florida and I vacation in Ohio. I love Ohio. If I didn’t have a great job here I’d move back.

7. mazblast - Dec 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM

The official state motto of Ohio is “With God, All Things Are Possible”. It makes no mention of whether they’re desirable. Places like Steubenville, Warren, Toledo, Moraine, and Youngstown make one wonder. Winter up in the northeast part of the state can have one questioning the idea of an all-merciful, all-loving Deity.

Especially when it comes to our professional sports teams, the motto should be, “Ohio–You don’t have to be tough, but you have to be accepting.”

8. clevelandschronic2 - Dec 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Lol so funny craig. Yeah e eryone wants our huh. That maybe your opinion but its not everyones. And im quite sick of all u writers who feel the need to trash ohio anytime u see fit. Mighty tough words for someone to hide behind. Id really like to meet you so i could slap the shit outta you for trashing everyone and everything about ohio. Craig ur a f***in worthless pile of s*** and anyone that helped raise you with all this negativity about ohio or anyone associated with this great state is an even bigger fu**ing pile of shit.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win