Dec 5, 2012, 9:10 AM EDT
Last season the Reds did long term deals for Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips. Now they’re thinking about locking up some pitching: they want to do long-term deals for Homer Bailey and Mat Latos, reports John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
Bailey and Latos look to be long-term parts of the Reds rotation, with each coming off fine years. Bailey’s season was something of a revelation. After a lot of early hype and then five years of bouncing back and forth between the minors and the bigs, Bailey finally put together a complete season, starting 33 games for Cincinnati while going 13-10 in 208 innings with a 3.68 ERA.
Latos also started 33 games in his first season in Cincinnati. While his ERA was about the same as it was the year before, the move from he majors’ most pitcher friendly park in San Diego to one of the most hitter friendly environments around in Great American Ballpark evinces some significant improvement.
Both Bailey and Latos are first-time arbitration eligible players so they won’t be bank-breaking deal, but they should be bigger than the $27 million deal that teammate Johnny Cueto received when he was in their position.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)