Dec 5, 2012, 9:10 AM EDT
Last season the Reds did long term deals for Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips. Now they’re thinking about locking up some pitching: they want to do long-term deals for Homer Bailey and Mat Latos, reports John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
Bailey and Latos look to be long-term parts of the Reds rotation, with each coming off fine years. Bailey’s season was something of a revelation. After a lot of early hype and then five years of bouncing back and forth between the minors and the bigs, Bailey finally put together a complete season, starting 33 games for Cincinnati while going 13-10 in 208 innings with a 3.68 ERA.
Latos also started 33 games in his first season in Cincinnati. While his ERA was about the same as it was the year before, the move from he majors’ most pitcher friendly park in San Diego to one of the most hitter friendly environments around in Great American Ballpark evinces some significant improvement.
Both Bailey and Latos are first-time arbitration eligible players so they won’t be bank-breaking deal, but they should be bigger than the $27 million deal that teammate Johnny Cueto received when he was in their position.
May 4, 2015, 5:29 PM EDT
Ottavino finishes the season with a 0.00 ERA and 13/2 K/BB ratio in 10 innings.
May 4, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT
The pitchers and rookies of the month were also named.
May 4, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT
Not so long ago Rosario was viewed as a very good prospect, but …
May 4, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Are we now to the “when,” rather than the “if” portion of the Rose reinstatement debate?
May 4, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
He’s being paid $15 million this season and is owed another $15 million in 2016.
May 4, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
And can we determine that in 21 games?
May 4, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
The Selig rule requires that requires that every club consider minority candidates for manager positions. There really wasn’t a search for Ron Roenicke’s replacement in Milwaukee.
May 4, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
0-4 with a 6.29 ERA.
May 4, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Milwaukee now has the guy who had easily the best batting stance of any current manager.
May 4, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Nearly a month ago Hardy was said to be “close” to starting a rehab stint.
May 4, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Seven errors in 21 games.
May 4, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
He says “it’s family business” and that “the old A-Rod is gone.”
May 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
This is getting ridiculous.
May 4, 2015, 9:49 AM EDT
This is the shortest post in the history of HBT.
May 4, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
And noting how the Yankees can and do sell everything that isn’t nailed down but somehow can’t figure out how to market home run number 660.
May 4, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
“I got it”
May 4, 2015, 7:24 AM EDT
Some late-inning heroics. Extra-innings heroics, actually. Like baseball is some kind of gosh darned after hours club or something.
May 4, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
The Brewers acted quickly to find a new manager after firing Ron Roenicke on Sunday night.
May 3, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT
The Dodgers acquired first baseman Andy Wilkins from the Blue Jays and designated Scott Baker for assignment on Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 11:35 PM EDT
The Padres are expected to promote catching prospect Austin Hedges on Monday.
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 2
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 139
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (139)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)